Suggestions for October holiday

Rach

Hi

We haven't had a holiday outside of the UK since our boy has been born - 2 years ago - the whole passport thing got the better of us. However, we have finally got our act together and are looking at going away mid-October. I'm thinking of Sicily or Sardinia (love Italy) but I'm wondering at that time of year whether it will still be warm enough.

I'm happy to look at other places. Am after somewhere nice and relaxed, swimming pool, lovely sandy beach and somewhere interesting for us to visit.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed. Thanks, Rach.

Hi Rach,

Not sure about October or Italy, (I did go to Italy, Isle of Elba, years ago in October and it was warmish during the day but became cold at night) but we have just booked a holiday for end of August. It was a last minute thing and we were offered a great deal through holidayhypermarket.co.uk. I eventually phoned them after looking at all their deals on the net and they were so helpful. We originally wanted to head to Portugal but they discussed the transfer from airport to hotel was about 2.5.hours and this was not manageable with an 11 month old, plus the beach was a bit of a trek. In the end we have chosen Menorca, with a 40 minute transfer, self catering, 3 swimming pools, kids club(which will be great for my 10 year old stepson), playground and 2 beaches about 400m away from hotel. Even better they helped us out by getting us morning flights, at 8am, rather then 6pm for departure and return is leaving at 12pm. Let's hope that after all the brilliant service from them the holiday will be excellent!

Holidayhypermarket

Dunedin House

Columbia Drive

Stockton on Tees TS17 6BJ

0844 8003199

or you could try to speak to our advisor Katie Whitham, on her direct line, 08009165155.

Good luck and enjoy your long awaited holiday abroad!

Egypt. 5 1/2 h flight, Naama Bay is full of all inclusive deals. It gets dark quite early in oct, but the temps are great.

Can recommend booking hotel directly via www.holidaynights.co.uk, and flights separately, just get a cab to the hotel (short journey - 20 mins)

Oh yes go to Sardegna!!!

It's fantastic and the flights are relatively cheap depending on flexibilty in dates. The food is heavenly - oh the seafood!, the weather is still wonderfully warm, the seaside (or rockside if you prefer as the coastline has both) and the countryside is beautiful and the people are lovely.

I cannot praise the country enough. We go every year and we have now bought an apartment there, bring on September Holidays!

Sicily will definitely be warm enough (although they do have spectacular thunderstorms in October). I'd go for Giardini-Naxos - out of season it will be reasonably quiet, nice beach, and near to Taormina, Catania (for Mt Etna), and only about an hour's drive from Syracuse (if you are into history).

Not sure about weather but I remember travelling around Italy a few years back in May/June and finding a lot of stuff wasn't open as it wasn't the holiday season for them. May just be worth checking what the area is like outwith the height of the season. Then again, with a 2 year old, you probably aren't planning on doing that much - but may be worth checking anyway.

We went to Sardinia with two kids in september 2 years ago. It was sunny about half the time. The people are lovely and the sea is quite the most amazing colour but the food wasn't as good as sicily (imo) and when it was overcast there wasn't terribly much to see or do.

I would go with Eygpt. Good weather pretty much guaranteed. Treat yourself - keeping a 2 year old entertained in the rain is no fun at all.

Wherever you go, have a lovely time.

thanks for the post Rach because I was just about to ask the same question. we are looking for a week in the sun in mid Oct when our son is 15 months. We looked at Sardinia and Sicily average temps and they can go as low as 14 degrees so I wouldnt risk it with the little one if you want a beach holiday. Egypt might be the winner - Fuschia - I remember you went last year, where exactly did you go (what hotel, what town?). cheers