How does pre-school work???

Ko

i've read the info i can find on this and various threads on here, but still don't understand it! started to think about it because a parent told me to put down our names for private schools as soon as poss - although i was hoping for a free local nursery!! i'm thinking about preschool at the age of 3-4 (rather than daycare/creche).

when i was young, we used to go to morning playgroup at about 3 and morning nursery at about 3/4-ish. both were with kids of a similar age.

could anyone who understands this please tell me:

are daycare nurseries (with kids of all ages, including babies) different to the 3+ nurseries i am thinking of?

and do all parents get a free local nursery place at the age of 3 - or is that wishful thinking? do you end up having to pay and have to have your name on a waiting list?

any advice would be very much appreciated. xxx

Schools offer a free place in the nursery for 12.5h pw (going up to 15h from 2010) from 3+, if you can get in. Apply a year in advance. Most local schools have nurseries except st Johns. Traditionally it's been 2 1/2h per day, either ams or pms though this may change when it goes up to 15h, it could be 3 x 5h, for eg.

Private nurseries can access funding if they provide a place to a 3 year old (from the start of the term after they're three) so you could access your 15h p/w via a nursery like Buds, puddleduck etc. I think the nurseries can charge you for additional hours over the 15... you can't have more than 5h free per day, or to be more precise, it has to be spread over a minimum of 3 days. (So can't use it for 2 x 7.5h days. for eg)

It's term time only, the grant, in the future it might be expanding slightly how many weeks it covers (traditionally, no more than 38w p/a)

Best to apply asap for those places.

Re nurseries, I have never used one that caters to younger children, but I think you get some that do just term time only, short days, like Buds, what we thought of when we were young as "playgroup" and then you get some that do more childcare based care, long days, up to 8-6, all year round, but they care for babies up to school age.

thanks fuschia - that's really clear and helpful! in my day we just pitched up to whatever was the nearest nursery and school and got on with it... the kids in playgroup went up to nursery with me and then we all started primary together. i remember the biggest effort my mum made was to get in the car and drive to the 2 nearest 2ndary schools to see which was nearest to us!!

• 1 month later...

I'm still a bit confused-my first choice for pre-school for my daughter would be a nursery attatched to a primary school-are these places very limited- do you need to apply to a few to ensure getting a place -or is it only worth applying to the ones you are closest too?

Is it worth applying to private nurseys etc as well as a back up-will they really take a child for 2.5 hours a day when there seem to be waiting lists at most of them

Would value anyone elses experiences or opinion

clrky501 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm still a bit confused-my first choice for

> pre-school for my daughter would be a nursery

> attatched to a primary school-are these places

> very limited- do you need to apply to a few to

> ensure getting a place -or is it only worth

> applying to the ones you are closest too?

> Is it worth applying to private nurseys etc as

> well as a back up-will they really take a child

> for 2.5 hours a day when there seem to be waiting

> lists at most of them

> Would value anyone elses experiences or opinion

I'd apply to a few school nurseries, but places are prob even scarcer than for reception. heber this year took only siblings, for eg.

Re the other nuseries, Puddleduck, Buds certainly do take children for sessions of 2.5h per day, or combine that into 5h. (Though they do have waiting lists - apply at least a year in advance)

The nuseries that do 8-6 can use the nusery voucher too, as a contribution, I think, but I am a bit vague about that, best thing to do would eb to call one and ask.

http://www.payingforchildcare.org.uk/Data/Sites/1/Factsheets/general%20help%20with%20childcare%20costs%20Apr09.pdf

Not all private nuseries will accept the grant, you should check

Asquith nurseries info re the grant - "4. When do I get the Nursery Education Grant?

Your child is entitled to the grant the school term after their 3rd birthday. The nursery is required to complete a number of forms for the Local Education Authority. The Nursery Manager will identify all eligible children through our registers and computer system and will apply for the grant on your behalf. Some Local Education Authorities require you to complete a form, however this will be given to you by the Nursery Manager. The Nursery Education Grant will be automatically deducted from the fees and will appear on the invoice as NEG grant

"

http://www.asquithnurseries.co.uk/approach/faq.asp