Learning to swim for 3 y/o

emc

Hi there

My daughter has just turned three and I want her to start some formal swimming lessons (happy in water but still clings to me a bit), preferably at the weekend or on a Fri. Am getting very confused about how it all works at the Fusion leisure centres and have yet again missed the beginningn of a course because they never seem to have any info available. Am in Nunhead and drive so can go most places within fifteen min car journey - any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

My three year old does them at the Beckenham spa and totally loves them. Lessons last 30 mins and in groups of about 6 children. The facilities are really nice and new and there is a cafe you can sit in and watch them while they have their lesson. It takes me about 10 mins to drive there from Honor Oak so not far. You book in blocks of lessons but think you may be able to start anytime. Worth checking out their website. Good luck

Michelle

Hey,

I just signed my soon to be 4 year old son up for the Ducklings classes at Peckham Leisure Centre. As you said, there is always minimal to none information available on their website and at the reception and I had been asking about the classes for a long time and was getting really frustrated as well. Just as I had prepared for an argument with yet another unfriendly staff member I then happened to catch a friendly & helpful (!!!) receptionist in Peckham last week who sorted it all out for me! Best thing to do is to go there in person; you just have to be very assertive and not let them brush you off and leave the desk until you get all the information you require! The Fusion courses start every 10 weeks; current ones in Peckham started week 32 so the next courses will start on week 42. They said that the courses from 4 years up fill up quickly but they may still have availability in Ducklings (3-4 years) so check the schedule which is available at the reception; you can sign your child up if there is still space and just pay for the portion of the course that she will attend. My son also missed the first class so I didn't pay for that. After you get your child signed up for the first time, apparently (according to the receptionist) they will then get automatically pre-booked for next 10 weeks before new starters (they give you a letter and you then just have to go pay for the course if you wish to continue) and also move up to age appropriate course if necessary, like it will be for my son. I'd definitely start even mid-course if there is space on your chosen day to get on the course. If there currently is no space on the day & time you require, I think you fill in an enquiry card and leave that at the reception. I'd keep on their case and stop by there closer to the date to ensure something's being done, just in case (as you see, I don't have much faith in them)... The lessons are 30 minutes each and my son thoroughly enjoyed his first lesson! Good luck!