Sains car park nursery

Abbots

Hi,

I'm new to this site (but not to East Dulwich) so apologies if this is a thread that has alredy been covered.

My son has just been offered a place (after nearly 2 years on the waiting list) at the nursery in Sainsburys car park. Does anyone have any good or bad reviews of this. My son is 2 1/2 and currently at a childminders that he loves. The problem is that it is a 2 mile walk so very inconvenient. We are just worried about moving him away from a place that he adores. The cost is about the same. My childminder also takes 6 weeks holiday a year.

We also have a 1 month old son who will need a childminder in about 8 months. Any good recommendations? East Dulwich (we live in the road off Sainsburys) seems to be very short of childminders? Also open to Nanny share etc.

Thanks in advance.

We had a look round last week and liked what we saw. My only concern is that the current Manager (who seems great) is moving on in October so there could be a period of flux while the new Manager settles in - they haven't recruited the new Manager yet so we don't know whether they will be any good or not.

My friend's son goes there so I'm afriad this is just second hand comments in passing from here. I think they think it's OK but they've found it a bit disorganised. Its taken months and months to get invoiced for their nursey bills and I think they've found the management a bit hit and miss (NB - this is management of the nursery - but I don't think this reflects on their care of the children although we didn't really discuss that). They got a new manager some time last year and a number of staff changed - high staff turnover CAN be a bad sign.

I don't think they're going to send their younger one there when the time comes.

Hi, my son's been there 3 days a week since beginning of June, they were really flexible even though he was not 2 yet and the vacancy was in the toddler section they were willing to accommodate. I was little concerned too about management and staff leaving. But I heard staff were redeployed, also the one's I met had been there for about two years or more. The manager was on maternity leave (her own elder daughter used to go to the nursery) and they had a lovely manager covering temporarily. Due to wanting to go part time and child care she decided to not return and they are now looking to recruit someone permanent. But the area managers of Bright horizons have been doing a fantastic job in filling in. We get invoiced regularly, get daily feedback sheets, my son has really flourished since being there. The room is great size and activities are well organised, the staff really care and his keyworker (also the room leader) is very attentive. He's really flourished and enjoys it a lot there. We get emailed weekly memos which helps give us a picture of what's going on and activities for the children the following week, so we can get prepared. They were also holding monthly parent partnership meetings which were good forums to raise general issues and meet other parents. I really would recommend give them a try. We had a terrible time with Bojangles where my older child was and found the place caotic, unorganised, and never got invoiced correctly. Staff are much more focussed at Dulwich Nursery and the standards are significantly higher than that and a few other nurseries in the area. But that's my own personal experience

I had my daughter on the waiting list for 3 years and didn't get a place, despite having been advised that I should get a place within a year. My daughter went to Herne Hill kindergarten in the end, and we lost our hefty deposit at the Sainsbury's nursery (I do think if you're on a waiting list for more than 2 yrs they should refund you). The staff turnover does seem high - the management changed twice during that time, and now seems to have changed again - I do think that's not a good sign. . The Villa nursery on Lyndhurst Grove is really lovely, but has a 2 year waiting list, so could be worth putting your little one down for a place now.