"The best age"

Belle77

Hola,

Sneezy is now 13 weeks and every week since he was born people have been telling me that he is presently at "the best age". I just smile as I've nothing to compare it to. Has anyone spotted any other "best ages"?! as I am keen not to miss them...

B

P.S. only half joking with this - would love to know whether there is any particular time you've enjoyed most with your children, realise it will be different for every child but would love to know what's coming as a first time mum...

I'd say when they're about 30, financially independent and able to buy their parents nice things?

Seriously though... for me I'd say when teeny weeny newborn (although only 2nd time round when I was more relaxed about it), when starting to talk and develop a definite personality around 12 - 18 months. I also think the age of 2.5, which my son is at now, is maybe the most rewarding time so far for me in terms of communication. Despite the terrible tantrums, stubbornness etc. that comes with a 2 year old I've noticed a real change in the last month or so from "toddler" to little boy and am able to have almost a proper conversation with him.

Nothing quite as nice as entering a room in the morning (wearing a new top), being looked up and down by my son, and being told "oooooh, Mummy, that's a LOVELY top you're wearing". Very sweet. Of course husband hadn't noticed, so I figure little boys gradually grow out of this stage ;-)

As the mother of 2 teenage boys I would say 3.5 ( if out of nappies day time) to 10- but especially 3.5 years to 4.5 years when you are a goddess to them and they believe everything you tell them and copy you and want to do everything you do and are so willing and learning everything that each day is such an achievement it is mind blowingly brilliant.

I agree with womanofdulwich! My son is soon 4 and LOVES mommy! Nobody compares, for real. I used to love it when he was a baby but often feel like I prefer it more and more the older he gets, if that makes any sense. I suppose all the ages are "the best age", it feels like there something equally amazing about all the different stages.

I started really enjoying my son when he started talking and was able to walk/play without me constantly worrying about him falling down, walking randomly in cafe's/pavements, etc - about 3 I think!! I found it all much easier after about 8 months - I did find it most difficult from newborn to 8 months. I'm with snss75 - I find it more enjoyable the older he gets, I love having 'proper' conversations with him - he is about 4.5 years old now.

My boy is also 23 months old and I have to say it just gets better day by day. The more they communicate and the more they can do obviously my day becomes more interesting and dare i say he is becoming quite lovely company and my goodness do i laugh more and more with what he does. He hasn't started tantrumming yet so i'm making the most of it

I really like my 1st daughter right now at almost 3.5 - you can have a reasoned conversation about things and see her little brain working things out. Listening to the conversations she has with herself too is priceless. Things feel a little more 2-way at this age and sometimes she does seem to appreciate that you just need a bit of mummy-time.

But then my 14mth old is so sweet too as her personality develops. I think you can appreciate the changes more with the second - it doesn't feel quite so much like a state of permanent blind panic!

I totally agree with fushia, at every stage hubby and me have said this is such a lovely age.

its great when they are tiny and you can sit and watch/cuddle them all ther time

but then they start moving and its lovely as they start showing some independance

they they start interacting with you and thats lovely too

our 20months said totally unprompted the other dau love you daddy love you mummy and my heart just melted.

she is at the min changing her dollys nappy because she had done poo poo acording to her! sooooooo cute

every age for me so far has been the best at the time.

I remember thinking at 9 months that daughter #1 was so perfect it just had to be downhill from then. Suprisingly, though, it carried on getting better. Otherwise my favourite bit has been age 2. I'd far rather deal with a two year old's tantrums than a four year olds attempts at reasoned arguments.