RE: Life insurance

skip

Try a comparison site like Go Compare. It should throw up the top insurers such as L&G, NU, Scottish Provident, AXA and Scottish Equitable (among others). From experience, all these providers have good administration backgrounds (apart from the odd blip)and decent claims histories.

Remember the premium quoted is the minimum you will pay. The final premium will depend upon underwriting.

LLx

Term assurance a much cheaper option than life given that life will definitely pay out (hence the high cost) whereas term may or may not.

Depending on your circumstances and reasons for wanting the insurance term may be the better (certainly cheaper) option.

The terms 'Life cover & term assurance' are used interchangeably. I think what Clare C means is 'Whole of Life' cover which is more expensive as is guaranteed to pay out on death and is often used for things like IHT mitigation.

I'm assuming you are after straight life cover (or term assurance), which is usually written to retirement age.

LL.

Start here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/level-term-insurance

I went with Money World - you use their search tool (free) then pay them ?30 for them to make the application to whoever you choose. The ?30 is the total of their one off commission so the rates you get are much better than you'd ever get through a traditional broker / IFA / comparison site. There's no advice though, but life assurance is simple, read the content in the link above and it'll give you a solid basis for making a decision on what you need.

One thing - and it applies to all life assurance policies however bought - get it 'written in trust' (speak to your solicitor) to make claiming the money a short and painless exercise for those left behind when you bite the dust.

Also - life "assurance" is guaranteed to pay out (unless you've discovered the secret to immortality) which is why it's assurance not insurance and why it's so much more expensive than something that just pays off the mortgage if you croak before the final payment.

Disclaimer: I aim to please but satisfaction is not guaranteed and I'm no expert on anything whatsoever and everything I say must be taken with a good pinch of salt.