Advice wanted; Baby Monitor

ClareC

We're a 2 monitor family... both BT (one older model, one new) and they've been great. Well worth the money in my opinion. I've never used a sensor monitor although have read varying reports on them (can sometimes cause more stress to parents if they go off and there's nothing wrong etc.) - and through the BT monitors you can hear the baby breathing as they're really clear and pick up the smallest sounds.

P x

We have the sensor pad and found it fantastic as it reduced middle of the night paranoia as you could look over and see the little green light flashing and be reassured that everything was ok without needing to get up and check. It did occasionally go off as a false alarm (we no longer use it as our son is over 1) but as soon as it picks up movement again which is usually only a couple of seconds it starts to flash green again (with an additional red flashing light to tell you it has been tripped) and the alarm stops.

Which sensor pad do you have Vickster?

It's funny isn't it how baby monitors are the norm these days yet we certainly never had them as kids (and survived).

I want one for my only sanity really, to stop me keep checking all is OK and being paranoid :-$

Clare, there is so much paranoia to deal with as it is, please don't put more on yourself! Can't remember the one we have, I stole it from my old job (long story), but it retails at about 80 quid, and is more than sufficient.

Just remember, it is in their interests to play on your paranoia, it makes them more money!

We had a Angelcare monitor and sensor pad but never used the sensor pad. I actually chose that one as I really liked the design (shallow I know) Also we only really used the monitor for about a month when the baby was very small so I would not bother paying a lot for one again.

Having just checked ours, it's a Tomy, I think it's something like a walkabout platinum or something. Not sure about battery life (as mentioned above), as we basically just keep it in it's charging port. It has vibrating alert (which is why my old work had it - equipment for Deaf people, that was going to be thrown out brand new, to make room in their cupboard!!!!), night light, which is good.

Best thing is that you can talk back from the parent unit, leading to lots of "Come in bedroom, this is living room, over". (I am such a child!!!).

Defo get a sensor pad. That little green flashing light is just so reassuring, but be warned you will have a couple of false alarms when it goes off and nothing seems to be wrong (normally they are right in the corner of the bed and have moved off the pad).

We too use it for a toddler - we know immediately when she ventures out of her bed looking for mischief!

hi clare we have a sensor pad one remind me to show you when you come for your fitting and you can have a look and see what you think. It is all personal as to if you have one or not but we wouldnt be without ours. so nice to be able to know they are ok without having to get up and look in. Ours went off by accident prob about 4 times in the 18 months we udes it for but all of those times except one it was whan she was in the travel cot and she had more room to roll around and it couldnt pick her up where she was lying and the one time in the main cot she had decided to lie on her pillow!

BT all the way. It's excellent and you can turn it right down if you don't want to be freaked out by each snuffle or lack thereof. And then the loudest is excellent if you're going out in the garden or something.

Or, of course, don't have one at all. I was nearly brave enough, but not quite!

The one keef has sounds great, wish I had one like that.

But if I were to do it over again I would go all out and get a video monitor. My son made so many noises, and once he got moving around he was quite active in his cot. We would sit and look at each other wondering if that was the kind of noise that was normal or fatal. Paranoia always got the best of me so I would go check, and it always seemed to wake him up or wind him up! Also if you have any kind of sleep issues you sometimes need to know that they are okay without going in....... even the sound of the floors creaking outside my son's door would get him going. Now he's almost three and some nights he just won't go to sleep so I'll let him read in bed with a little light on. It would just be nice to see how's he's doing without winding him up by going in.

We have the cheapest Fisher Price crap ones. They hum and buzz but you can hear what you need to and no matter how many times we drop them they keep on plugging away!

We used a video one. Really put our minds at rest so would thoroughly recomend it. Cost about ?130 and the screen eventually died through over use but it was worth it's weight in gold. Very sensitive microphone meant we coulod hear baby breathing, and see his little chest going up and down too.

Used to watch it for hours on end! :)

I got it online from somewhere in Balham for about ?40 cheaper than in shops!