Ideas for days out with baby?

After nearly 5 months of barely leaving east dulwich I'm getting cabin fever and other half keeps suggesting unsuitable sounding day trips to take baby S on (like Brighton, by train. Too adventurous for me, sorry). So does anyone have any good ideas for easy days out over the bank holiday? Somewhere not too busy, car or train, where (key issue!) stopping to breastfeed will be possible and not too obvious...am I asking too much?

We had a successful trip up to Spitalfields market last weekend but am struggling to think of other ideas.

Cheers! x

Be brave and go to Brighton, it's not that bad, honest! My sister lives down there and I've done the trip with both of my children (2.5 and 14 months, although my youngest was only 4 months the first time I did it) both by train and by car. Train, in my opinion, is the easiest as you can entertain the baby, feed when necessary etc. Once you're there it's so lovely to stroll around taking in the sights, lots for baby to look at. Beat the weekend rush by heading there early (i.e. leave East Dulwich before 10am) the trains will be pretty quiet.

The South Bank is another good option, quick and easy to get to, and although busy at weekends still plenty of room for a buggy and loads of places you can stop to feed.

P x

whitstable is one hour in the car - the sea air is reviving! the high street is narrow in places though and busy, but its better along the seafront

i keep meaning to try columbia road flower market (east end - i think its on sundays?)

hampstead heath takes about an hour in the car, lovely pubs for lunch and then a walk on the heath

crystal palace park is nice for a long walk if you don't normally head that way. there's the dinosaurs around the lake, the small maze, etc. are plenty of cafes in the triangle of shops - 'Domali' does divine cakes and coffee

let us know what you end up doing. have fun! x

Crystal Palace - now that's more like it!! Forgot to mention that baby S won't tolerate long periods in the buggy...(surprise!)

(ps - I mention the breastfeeding thing as am slightly scarred by a stressful trip which ended up with me feeding a hysterical baby on the steps of a burger king surrounded by smoking horrid people with dogs)

With a 5 month old, I would work out what you would really like to do, and then work out how you do it with a little one. It won't be long before you are having to do legoland and the like - enjoy.

So, if you like country walks, get a baby back carrier thing and go. If you like art galleries, then take them there. If you want to go to the cinema, then find out about the big scream etc at the ritzy. Babies love buses and trains, but don't go near the tube unless you can't avoid it! Just allow twice as long to do everything - and you can always breastfeed in starbucks etc.

I just wish someone had told me that when I just had one baby....

I used to get the bus everywhere when my little boy was a baby. (He's a toddler now and is less happy sitting in his pushchair or on my lap for too long). You can get the bus to South Ken via Clapham (the 37 and then the 345, I think). Plan a stop in Clapham in a nice cafe/pub for feeding etc and then jump on the bus to the V&A...(where the cafe is gorgeous). It's probably easier to do on a week day when everyone else is at work, though.

I would just like to agree with Sqiggles - do everything now whilst you only have 1! I guess by your name you like going snowboarding.....we went for a week and the first time she was 4 months, second time 16 months and this time round we went with 2 children (2 yrs and 7 months) and decided that it was just too much hassle and have decided not to go with them again until they are of the age to enjoy skiing themselves! (We're going to go for a long weekend and leave them with grandparents!)

You eventually get used to breastfeeding in random places and so it gets easier - but just go and enjoy the bank holiday somewhere exciting and a little further afield. Good luck.