Wanted: High Chair recommendation for 6 month old

Crokes

Hi

I'm in the early stages of weaning with my 6 month old. So far we've been using a bumbo and tray but we're keen to progress to a high chair - I know that the trip trapp and ikea antilop get lots of thumbs up, but we're pretty limited on space so can anyone recommend one that isn't too bulky and/or folds would be good (obviously an easy to clean feature is important too!).

Thanks!

We used the cossato On the move (link to mothercare below) for my daughter and then went onto a tripp trapp when she was about 14 months. The cossato one was really slimline (used to slot in beside the fridge) and was really handy if you were going to friends as could chuck in the car easily.

Was robust enough so they weren't unstable but folded down brilliantly.

That said if you can fit the tripp trapp would go for it as you get years of use out of them.

http://www.mothercare.com/Cosatto-Move-highchair-Fruits-Forest/dp/B001GDB8OC/sr=1-18/qid=1251380807/ref=sr_1_18/276-4054467-8086739?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42862041&mcb=core

Antilop is just unbeatable for price and wipedown-ability!. Its legs do pop out too if you need to store away.

IKEA are also doing a new folding chair which is quite funky, and washable: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00146781

We also have a Svan highchair - same principles as the tripp trapp, but its less wide on the base. They're pricey - but even at 3+ my son is using it as a 'high' chair.

We've been looking at high chairs too...We have a antilop but it's irritating me as it doesn't tuck under our table. Went to mothercare but they were all HORRID and massive and plastic-y. And baby s looked terrible in the trip trapp - all on a lean!

I've been looking at these on kiddicare website and can't decide....and am wary as have made SO many stupid expensive purchases in the last 5 months!

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_934_10751_-1_14633_74261_10001_14633#description_tab

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_934_10751_-1__39893_10001_

anyone got either of them? style (and expense) over substance?

thanks...

I have to say, My six year old daughter has just given up her Trip Trapp. As she grew, and still liked to have a little extra height at the table - the straps and the bar were removed. It is safe as anything, infinitely adjustable and I think it looks terrific. Even now, and I had 2 Trip Trapps at our dining table at one point, it looks like a nice piece of furniture and is as good as new. There are no difficult to reach areas for cleaning and it is built to last.

I have the inglisina zuma. Do not get it!!! It looks great and it is comfortable however it is impossible to clean. There are crevices everywhere. Also the cushion velcros directly to the seat and food gets into the velcro that is on the seat. So you cant get it 100 percent clean. I put it away and got a tripp trapp. I only use it now if I have a guest.

That Zuma certainly does look awful to clean. We had a Mamas and Papas and I hated it!!!!!!! There were a thousand cracks for food to get stuck. Couldn't wait to see the end of it. At 18 mos I broke down and got the East Coast Multi Height chair, which we love. I thought it looked a bit comfier than the Tripp Trapp (and a bit less ?????).

I think most moms who have been there would suggest wood or plastic without all those seat pads and cracks and things. You will be cleaning the bloody thing three times a day every day for years on end. I once saw one called "Bloom" and nearly wept; it was too late for me but sure thought it looked perfect! Maybe do a google search?

I should have said, snowborader, don't worry about a bit of lean in the trip trap - it does not last long, and you can just stuff something soft and washable (a towel?) down each side for a few weeks. Both mine were in it from 6 months - with the baby attachemtn/straps etc - even the cushion when it was not in the wash! In the long term, the tripp trapp, or something similar, will win through!

• 4 weeks later...
HA just to resurrect this and to say I was stupid and ignored all the advice here!! I bought a cool mamas and papas highchair at great expense - thought baby snowboarder looked really comfy in it in the shop. Got it home, realised he could barely reach the tray due to the 5 point harness...and he just slumped...and there was a massive gap for food to land in lap...so we're back in the ikea antelop with the baby inflatable insert and so much happier. GRR When will I learn?!? I pretty much have 2 of most baby things now.

We are also a great fan of the ikea while one too - really easy to clean (and also fits in my dishwasher when things get very grim). Also really portable folding down to really small and great value. We originally had a trip trap with DS1 but he hated it and it was sent back. The ikea one was always intended as a spare for grandparents but has been a great buy.

M

snowboarder ! I had a look at your kiddiecare links...(!!!!) I haven't bought it yet, but good simple design like the tripp trapp will surely outlast those horrible zumas and other badly designed overpriced chairs. Don't keep making the same mistakes, as you said you made many stupid purchases in the last 5 months.

The Handysit is a great idea I reckon, can be used at home and easily taken with you when you travel. We have a Svan Highchair we bought (at great expense) for baby no. 1 and it is fab, and is now in use for baby no. 2 (and it does convert to a raised chair as they get older, but we also have a Handysit on loan from friends, which I used when friends are visiting so their baby can sit up and eat comfortably too, and for when we travel.....and if I'd known about them back at the start I would have just had one for full time use - as it fits onto a normal chair at your table it means you don't end up trying to fit chairs, plus high chairs around your table too.

Snowboarder - it is a painful process we all have to go through, I don't think there are many of us out there who haven't bought at least a few 'mistakes' for our first, but amongst all of this we drop on some gems, and forums like this are fantastic for knowlege sharing - provided you listen to the advice of course!!!!

Molly

cacaolat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> snowboarder ! I had a look at your kiddiecare

> links...(!!!!) I haven't bought it yet, but good

> simple design like the tripp trapp will surely

> outlast those horrible zumas and other badly

> designed overpriced chairs. Don't keep making the

> same mistakes, as you said you made many stupid

> purchases in the last 5 months.

Hmm - yep I didn't buy either of them - but the tripptrapp is just as expensive - and I would really recommend trying it out before you buy it as even with the baby set my sturdy already sitting on own 6 month old did not look comfortable...plus I wanted a tray..and after thinking about it one that would fold away. The mamas and papas one will be fine when he's bigger, and for now the ikea one is great - so all good!

Actually given all my purchases I now have experience of a wealth of baby equipment. Maybe my new career can be baby shopping guru...:)

oh yes sorry, I missed that post in the middle that you have already bought an ikea one, just wanted to advice against spending a lot for those other chairs. Our baby is less than 6m and has never tried the tripp trapp ,but I am sure she will take some time to get used to any chair. we will still go for the tripp trapp.

I'd say, either an IKEA antelop with tray and insert (the latter two you have to buy instore) Seat and tray are about ?15.

Or a second hand tripp trapp if you want something prettier, that goes under the table (might eb better for a small room) but it doesn't have a tray, so more messy.

One of my reasons for going with the tripp trapp was that I'd seen second hand ones go on e-bay for almost as much as we paid new, so even if it wasn't as great as we'd heard we wouldn't be wasting money. In fact they are as good as we'd heard and we now have two, both still in constant use five years on.