shoes and fittings

ludoscotts

hi just a thought about the shoe shop on lordship lane.

Sorry being rubbish today so cant remember its name but there is only one on lordship lane,

we went in there sat and had our toddler fitted for a pair of shoes. she has always been a g fitting but the assistant said she was a 5.5/6 f depending on shoe style. She then put her into a pair of shoes and said do you want to leave her in these as her old ones are too small.

I agreed and we left.

I should have gone with my instinct and insisted that she be rechecked on the width but I had said are you sure they are ok and she said yes the fit fine.

ten mins later our toddler who normally wants to walk everywhere was asking to be carried. she was then saying ouch and pointing to her feet.

when I took her shoes off she had bright red lines on her feet where they had been digging in. Clearly too tight.

I put them back on her yesterday and took her into the shop. I asked them to recheck them for me, The assistant(a different one) said they were fine on lenghth but too small on the width, I said I wanted an exchange or refund and I was told no as they had been in the sale.

I did stand my ground and argue that I hadnt picked the size and purchased them and that she had been fitted into them therefor I wansnt leaving until I got my money back. They did eventually give my money back(they didnt have any larger sizes)

but just wanted to make people aware we really should trust that mothers instinct and not trust people who may be working on commission!

and now some advice- where can I buy some lightweight canvas shoes in the nearby area? I wanted soem doodles as Im going away next week and wanted something for the beach not leather shoes or trainers which everyone seems to have in stock now. Ive tried peckham and lordship lane where else could I try.

thanks leanne

That's a shame you had a bad experience as I've always been very happy with the fitting service there.

I got my daughter's doodles brand new for ?10 on ebay - if you are sure of the size you could try there, also worth checking Biff in dulwich village - they may still have something in the sale.

I bought a pair of shoes from there and as soon as I got them home the lining came out so I returned them and they said 'we can repair them for you it will only take a few days' I said I want a full refund, and I got it.

I find them rather pushy.

Exactly the same happened to us, my partner took son no 1 and came out with a G fitting, he's usually H. Shop refused to take them back, it was a few days before I realised.

You can order shoes from clarkes website then try them on at lewisham clarks shop, don't pay unless you take them

sorry that you all probs too but glad its not just me. they really are pushy, good thing I can give as good as I can get as I got my money back(hubby is a pushover and would prob have apologised to them and left!)

thanks for tips going away sun so prob not enough time for ebay and to order online but will think about if for future. will try dulwich village tomorrow thank you

Ludoscotts, we got doodles from Clarks in Peckham (a few doors away from Primark), there were loads last time we were there, I think we paid about ?12 for my son's ones. He's given them a good bashing, we've put them in the washing machine twice and they're still going strong! Give it a try (cheaper than ordering from website)

wonderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ludoscotts, we got doodles from Clarks in Peckham

> (a few doors away from Primark), there were loads

> last time we were there, I think we paid about ?12

> for my son's ones. He's given them a good

> bashing, we've put them in the washing machine

> twice and they're still going strong! Give it a

> try (cheaper than ordering from website)

It's well nigh impossible to get G or H fittings in the shops, is the problem

Definitely try the clarks factory shop in Peckham - often really good bargains and the staff (if you can find them) are mostly helpful.

As an ex-Clarks childrens fitter (in my youth) I'm always disappointed with the service at John Farmers on Lordship Lane - they aren't good fitters and their attitude is often very poor. I buy shoes from there bacause I fit them myself but otherwise I wouldn't trust the current staff.

As an aside, we were always told that if we fitted shoes and they were fitted incorrectly the customer was entitled to a full refund (regardless of sale) - all part of the Clarks service

thanks for that good to know, I tried the peckham store last week and couldnt get anything in her size except leather or flashing trainers and I dont want to go down that road until she is asking for them. I got them there in the past and have found bargains- thats the annoying things at this point dont care how much they cost just looking for anything that would be suitable for the beach- seems silly to buy her leather ones that will get trashed! off to dulwich village after lunch and will see if they have anything. thanks everyone

just to say, my daughter (2) has some clarks flashing trainers and they have been the most successful shoes i have bought for her so far! apart from the fact that she thinks they are the coolest thing ever, she seems to be much more confident running in them than her other shoes, so worth considering