Question about maxi cosi car seat

Ko

Hi all

i am about to buy a baby car seat for the first time and although the shop has explained all the different bits (adaptors etc), i was wondering if people could please advise what they thought was necessary to save me wasting money!

do i need to get the (1) 'easyfix base' and (2) 'car seat addpators' as well as the seat??? it is very confusing! we have a vw polo in case that's relevant to answering the question.

any advice would be much appreciated

many thanks in advance

kxx

We didn't buy a base for ours - only difference is that you strap it in using seatbelts every time you use it, which to be honest isn't difficult at all. We happily used ours for 2 children this way.

The adapters are generally for use with prams, so that you can clip the carseat onto your pram base, so it will depend what kind of pram you're getting as to whether they will be useful for you.

Hope that helps a little!

We used easyfix base,which I found it really very useful.The base makes putting baby in and out the car extremely quick and easy, once you learn it...It's realy depend on how often you are planing to drive with the baby. You can live without it but it makes things easier as straping with the seat belts can be annoying.

I'd agree that if you're going to be driving a lot with baby in the car a base would be worthwhile - but we find we only use the car once, maybe twice a week (it's easier to walk with 2 children to cart around!) so for us using seatbelts was fine. Also with #2 I found I could get her in and out of the seat without actually undoing the seatbelt, so was very simple.

Hi Ko,

We too used the Maxi Cosi baby car seat for our two and it was really easy to strap in (took a couple of times to get the hang of it). We used it in conjunction with a Quinny Zapp (great for travel, or leaving in the boot as second pushchair). I think the same adaptors are usable with the Bugaboo chassis as well, but check this as we didn't have one.

My neighbour currently has mine but I know she's done with it and you are more than welcome to borrow it if you didn't want to buy one at all.

Hope this helps.

-C

thanks for all the replies. its all so helpful

candj - what an absolute sweetie you are! thanks so much for the offer xxx. i have decided to get the adaptors as they are not too expensive, but give the base a miss for now and instead strap the seat in and see how it goes.

major announcement also - i have finally bought a pram!!!! after all that umming and erring and getting all confused!

many thanks once again x

Ko, worth taking your car down to Mothercare (or wherever) and trying out the seat first. The maxi cosi on its own didn't fit into our car (fiesta) as the seat belts were too short, so we had to buy the base.

Also, iro anowboarder's post abvove, there3 are two bases: the isofix one, which needs your car to have isofix fittings (depends on age and model etc) or easifix, which fits in with just the seatbelt.