St Barnabas Chruch

That's a slightly silly assertion, Huggers. How could you possibly know?

According to 2001 Diocese of Southwark Census:

St Barnabas (total pop. 5632) - 368 people on Electoral Roll

St John's (total pop. 9598) - 224 people on Electoral Roll.

While not everyone who attends church is on the E. Roll, it is a fairly good indication of numbers/ratios.

[yes, I'm bad tempered and bored this morning!]

eh Peckham Gatecrasher I think you misinterpreted the tone of my post. I was just trying to help the OP who seemed to think St B was the main ED church . a lot of the correspondence on here re church is related to St Johns which is the parish church of East Dulwich whereas St Barnabus tends to serve Dulwich Village and I do think you are really rude.

Throwing in my two penneth - I am in central ED and in fact we had to have our children christened at St Clements (just off Barry Rd/Friern Rd) as our CofE parish church, not St Johns.

The next family service there is Harvest Festival on Sunday, 27th September at 10am.

Its not a glamorous church, but it is quite quiet, has a lovely feel and the vicar (Maria) has two small boys herself, so is very good with children :)

We go to St. John's (but aren't on the roll, not sure why) and find it a nice, friendly church with a congregation that reflects the general population outside. It's quite high, and I found the smells and bells a bit disconcerting, but have got used to it. I'm sure they would make you feel welcome.

HI sian&tony

Welcome to the area. Ed is a lovely place, I hope you'll be very happy here.

I occasionally attend St B's and have done for the last 14 years. It's a thriving and busy church with a big emphasis on family (lots of kids groups at the family service etc.etc.) You'll be welcomed and your new baby will be a delightful and very welcome addition to the St B's community. I recommend the family service on Sunday mornings at 10am. A lot of my close friends both attend regularly and live in ED so you won't be alone. ED is a big place and depending on where you live St B's might well be your closest church, or you may just prefer the feel of it, or love the architecture or something. Whatever - Rest assured that whatever your reasons for going to St B's they will be glad to have you and you will be able to find plenty of like minded people there. If you would like to chat a bit more about it you can PM me.

Hi SianandTony,

We go to St Clements on Barry Road / Friern Road, and I would highly recommend it. There is a children's service once a month, and Sunday School on the other Sunday's. It is really friendly with a mix of younger and older people attending. We moved to East Dulwich in February and I have found I made new friends in the church and it has a lovely community feel. Maria is fantastic, and there are many others who will make you feel welcome.

I have a 2 year old and am expecting my 2nd. PM me if you want more information.

Take care, and congrats on your upcoming arrival!

Sledge

x