How was the first day at school?

After all the discussion on here about school places and waiting lists, how was your child's first day at school? Did they say anything amusing about what they did? I was delighted when I heard a little boy on his way to Goose Green for his first day say to his dad, 'I will miss you today and I'm going to be as nice as I can'.

Well my boy had his first day at Goose Green today - it was fab - he loved wearing his uniform, loved seeing the other children then the teachers emerged down the steps like Cheryl on the X Factor, all the children lined up and marched in without a backward glance. Picked him up 2 1/2 hrs later; full of beans, big hug for me, thumbs up from the teachers and a "scoop" of ice cream - what's not to love? When we got home 2 yr old sis put on his green jumper, grabbed his book bag marched to front door and announced that she was off to school.

Not sure they realise that they have 14 years of it in front of them or how we are going to negotiate a fly by Just Williams every day but having initially been allocated John Donne school (great head, great ofsted, great sats but where exactly?!) and the months of stress that followed I wouldnt have thought that we would see first day of school with smiles all round. Take heart.

Hi there!

My boy also had a good first (and today now second) day of school at Goose Green as well. Quite smiley and happy both going in and coming out. When I asked him what he did at school he said 'When the bell rings, we sit on the carpet and then we tidy up!' I hope his enthusasiam for tidying up at school carries over tidying up at home!

Hi there

My boy started at St John's this week, and so far so good.

We only visited for an hour on Tuesday, but his first comment when I collected him was,

'I've already found my girlfriend Mum, she has hair like this ( he demonstrated pigtails I think)

and skin like mine' I asked if he had played with her or spoken to her, but he said no. So like many men

I have known, he'll probably just admire her from afar and saying nothing to her for the next 7 years!

He's also very keen on the tidying up bit.

My little boy started at Heber last week and after his first morning he informed me that when he was 5 he would like to walk to school on his own, now that he is a big boy! I asked him if he would miss me and he said no! So far so good, just hope the enthusiasm continues!