Glider Chairs for Feeding - would you recommend?

MrsC

Hi All,

Getting ready for the arrival of baby number 1 in January and have had mixed advice on glider chairs for feeding - Tutti Bambini type chairs or similar. They do seem very comfortable, and can see the benefits for the 3am feeds, only down side is they are on the expensive side. Does anyone have any advice on these, a must have or bit of a waste of money, or any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!

Hello - I bought a glider chair - hauck (?) from kiddicare - fairly reasonable (?150?) and am still using it 5 months after baby was born - I have it downstairs though for daytime feeding. Night feeds originally done in bed, now in cheapy ikea armchair in baby's room - surprisingly comfortable....

So - would totally recommend the glider - especially if you end up having a C section as I found it almost impossible to get up off our lovely comfy sofa!

Having been the previous owner of Fuschia's chair, used for two children over 5 years, I would definitely recommend a well built solid chair if you intend to have more than one child. Ours was expensive but amazing. Was from John Lewis and as a testament to the quality - has been in happy use now for 4 children (my 2 and Fuschia's twins).

Hope it is still treating you well, Fuschia!

They are very fantastic, but the time in which they are useful is quite short as after a few months you are rarely feeding in the same place, (except at night -when trust me you'll want to be lying down, not sitting down anyway) so advertise in the wanted section or family classifieds for a second hand one - there'll be loads of people around who'll have one they want rid of

EDmummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having been the previous owner of Fuschia's chair,

> used for two children over 5 years, I would

> definitely recommend a well built solid chair if

> you intend to have more than one child. Ours was

> expensive but amazing. Was from John Lewis and as

> a testament to the quality - has been in happy use

> now for 4 children (my 2 and Fuschia's twins).

>

> Hope it is still treating you well, Fuschia!

Yes, I couldn't bear to get rid of it as it still comes into its own if anyone is ill and needs rocking during the night!! I love it!!!!!!!! It reminds me of those precious newborn weeks. As i say, i avoided back pain thsi time round, needed physio with son no 1, after too much bf sitting hunched on the sofa.

I've tried one of these out in the feeding room in Mothercare and they are very comfy - but really, ?150, not to mention all that space, for a rather ugly-looking chair solely designed for breastfeeding? I just sat in a regular armchair with a v-shaped cushion and it was fine for during the day, or lay on my side in bed at night in the lovely snuggly warm. Obviously if you've got the space and money, go for it, but I do think new parents are pressured into buying loads of stuff that you don't honestly need. I speak as someone who parted with ?20 for a white towelling changing mat cover - what was I thinking? (Actually I could tell you what I was thinking when it first got covered in baby poo stains, about five days in, but it wouldn't be printable.) I'd think about whether you're really going to be using it six months down the line, and if not, resist or go for gwod's suggestion and buy second-hand. People have been managing to breastfeed without these things for many millennia!

Ah redjam...I think worth the money...if you have it....I too have bought a whole load of stuff over the last 6 or so months (when I come to have a clear out I will probably be able to kit out about 3 nurseries!), but the chair really is one of the more sensible and value for money items. Yep I'll get rid of it when done...but I reckon it will be in use for as long as I bf during the day...

I love my chair and even though it was expensive and 18 months on I'm no longer breastfeeding, I still sit in on a night to read my son his bedtime story and give him his milk. Plus if he ever wakes up in the night or is poorly, a rock on the chair soon soothes him and gets him back to sleep. It's worth every penny in my opinion plus they seem to retain their value pretty well when it comes to selling them on. I bid on a few on ebay but they almost went as high as how much they are in the shops.

I borrowed one from a kindly neighbor, but would buy a different one if I had to do it over again. If it is wood framed and the cushion isn't thick enough it can get pretty uncomfortable after awhile. In my case I spend hours and hours a day (every meal plus colicky evenings)and by about six months I never wanted to see it again.

That said, there's nothing like the feeling of rocking a small baby in the wee hours. I really would get one.

Extra cushiony.

I got one 2nd hand (from the forum, of course!) before I had baby #2. I wish I'd got one 1st time round as they are really comfortable. I'd always figured that I'd sell it on once I stopped breastfeeding, but it looks nice in the room and is a great chair for sitting reading bedtime stories etc as others have said so I think it will be part of the family for a while longer yet :)

We bought one for our daughter but didnt end up using it as she was in a moses basket next to our bed for the first few months and by the time she went into her own cot, she didnt wake in the night, so although they are good, ours just sat in the corner of the room and is now in the box in the loft