PET/IUGR anyone screened positive in pregnancy? AdvicePlease.

ClareC

Has anyone been screened positive for this? How does the scoring system work and what is a "normal" score? I know 1.6 is the cut off score for being deemed high risk but what did this mean and what is the statistical risk of it being an issue? Is there anything can be done to avoid this, reduce the risk?

I have looked this up on the internet and all seems rather scary :-( PET (Pre eclampsia) is bad enough but seems manageable ie it should be picked up if you get it, IUGR seems far more concerning - my 22 week scan was all fine as far as the baby is concerned by I scored 1.6 in this test so Kings have put me down as high risk (midwife apt every two weeks, another scan at 28 weeks). Other than being told I am borderline and that not everyone high risk will go on to develop these and those that do only a few will have them seriously I wasnt given any information / reassurance etc :-(

I have a midwife appointment this morning so will chat with her, concerning though :-(

Spoken with my midwife who didn't seem concerned at all. She was amazed that having received this result KIng's did not even take my blood pressure - which today was normal as has so far been the case.

It would be great to know if anyone else has experienced this but I think at this stage I will just be thankful for the extra care I receive as a result!

There was a surprise internal scan added to the usual 22 week external scan :-S It was from that it was picked up. From what I understood the measurememt is something to do with blood flow / pressure in the placenta. It wasn't explained in laymans terms!

There is barely anything on this online, what there is seems to be research papers etc from Kings and a hospital in Athens. I know they are researching pre eclampsia as I gave consent for them to take extra bloods etc to help with the research. I am beginning to think this must be something new and part of the research given the lack of information / knowledge there seems to be on it - and that I am not demonstrating any of the usual pre eclampsia signs. It seems this is a measurement being used to ring fence certain people, a small percentage of whom are expected to suffer with Pre eclampsia. The Sonographer assistant had to go off and check what the cut off measurement was, it wasnt something they knew off hand. Fortunately ( I think) I was dead on the cut off measurement of 1.6 (whatever that is!), 1.3 being what most would score.

Midwide didn't seem at all phased or concerned by it and the Sonographer did tell me not to worry (easier said than done!!).

Hi Clare,

I think you've just answered your own question. Harris Birthright are undoubtedly pioneers in ante natal ultrasound. For example the nuchal test was researched and developed at Kings and is now a world wide screening test; when I was pregnant with my daughter (15) that test wasn't available but when I had my son ( 13) it was.

There have been many other screening tests that have been developed over the years and the test you describe is a more recent one. The thing is midwives have always screened for PET and growth retardation at all routine visits by urine testing , blood pressure monitoring and abdominal palpation. That's not going to change!

Also there is a separate Blood Pressure clinic at Kings where women can be seen more freguently and more importantly have approptiate treatment at the appropriate time.

Keep your appointments and you'll be fine.

Hi Clare

Is it the cervix measurement test you're referring to? My midwife warned me that King's is doing a research study into this and said I'd be offered the additional internal scan. If so, it is a scan to see what the chances of early delivery are based on your cervix length.

Emma

Hi

At my initial scan I was told that one of my hormone levels was low (never told which one) and that this could lead to interuterine growth restriction later in the pregnancy. As a result I was asked to come in for a few extra scans- one at 28 weeks and one at 32 weeks. This was in addition, to a very early scan and the routine ones as 13 and 22 weeks. At both the 22 and 28 week scan they told us that baby canuck's growth appeared to be fine. I queried why we needed to come in for the scan at 32 weeks and they said that they would only discharge you once you had 2 scans in a row that were normal, not including the regular scans. Overall I think that they are just a bit overly cautious at Kings which ultimately is a good thing.

Now am 35 weeks and all seems to be fine. The baby certainly feels big enough but will know for sure pretty soon!

I also had the cervix scan to determine the risk of premature labour.

Hope all goes well for everyone.

Lisa

EmmaG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Clare

>

> Is it the cervix measurement test you're referring

> to? My midwife warned me that King's is doing a

> research study into this and said I'd be offered

> the additional internal scan. If so, it is a scan

> to see what the chances of early delivery are

> based on your cervix length.

>

> Emma

Yes this is the one..... wasn't pre warned so came as a bit of a surprise when only expecting a normal scan!!! They looked at cervix length to determine chances of early delivery (all fine there, expected to be full term) but also there was something to do with blood pressure in the placenta - This is despite my blood pressure being normal, no protein evident in urine and all scans/ blood tests etc coming out fine.

I think it may well be linked to the research they are conducting - I am not as concerned as I initially was and am focussing on the bright side, extra scans / midwife appointmemts :-)