MMR - if baby gets cranky/unwell, when does that happen?

Citrovie

My 14 month old will get her MMR next week. She hasn't had any reaction to any of her other vaccinations so far but I have heard some people say that MMR is a bit more likely to cause crankiness or unwellness. If this happens, does it happen immediately or is it more likely to start at night or on the day or even longer after?

I have an appointment an hour after the jab is scheduled. It's a child friendly appointment but still - if she's likely to be totally miserable I should probably move it!

Thankfully my son didn't have any reaction. I'm sure I remember the nurse telling me that it wasn't a live virus so, unlike the previous jabs they have, there shouldn't be a temperature etc. But, saying that, a friend of mine says her son seemed under the weather/ a bit cranky a week after the jab.

Does anyone know if you're supposed to have two doses of MMR? My son had his 3 months ago but the nurse didn't mention a second dose although a friend said her son had had two doses. I looked in his red book but it said the second dose was given around the time they start school. I phoned my doctors but they couldn't seem to find out the answer for me - not very helpful - and I don't go to the baby clinic any more.

My son had his MMR dose at 12 months which was early due to a measles epidemic, apparently. I have to take him back in 4 - 6 weeks for his booster dose. Advised to do it in a different way than the 1st and 2nd dose. He was a little ratty in the afternoon, which baby nurofen helped. Although 4 days later he ended up with a gastric bug and high temperature. Sure they weren't linked but fighting off all those bugs may not have helped???

I think it's normal practice to immediately give the child Calpol after the MMR to combat any possible fever/pain in the arm.

First child had it at 14 months with no side effects and then the pre school booster at 4 years and aside from her fear of doctors/jabs forever, had no ill side effects.

Second child had the MMR at 16 months and no problems either - didn't even cry or notice the needle!

Good luck!