Breast abcess

Fuschia

Has anyone had one? I am bf 18m old twins, out of the blue I have two huge hard hot lumps, one all puss-y? have been on antibiotics for a few days, went to a and e last night, they wanted to admit me, but I couldn?t do that really?. as i cosleep and couldn?t leave my babies all night.

I had IV antibiotics in casualty and came home with high dose penicillin, have to go tomorrow for an ultrasound and to discuss having it drained.

Anyone have any experience?

Fuschia, poor thing.

Is it mastitis? I used to get hard and very painful lumps that were warm when you touched them. I assumed they were blocked milk ducts so used to make baby nurse as much as possible (or use breast pump) while simultaneously pushing/massaging on the hard lumps. Very painful but worked every time and problem was resolved within 24 hours.

Hope you feel better soon!

-C

I've read about this - and read that its alot worse than mastitus and I've had that about 8 times. Poor you, how awful. Are you laid up, is it really painful, are you able to feed still? Let me know if you need anything brought round or if I can help out in any other way at all!!!

Ugh. Had a truly dreadful night. I was crying in pain, literally, and woke up both babies, repeatedly, who by 2.30am set up some sort of toddler assault course which involved clambering up the foot of the big bed, jumping on Mr F, then flinging thmeselves off the bed onto me where I lay sobbing in a ball on the floor. Anyway, a random kick boxing style maneouvre from one baby must have burst the abcess in some fashion, either that or the shedloads of drugs I'd taken, finally had an effect, and the pain suddenly lessened at about 3am, though the babies carried on rampaging till about 4.30am. Suffice it to say the worst of he miscreants is still asleep!

Wish me luck at Kings.

Oh Fuschia, you poor Love.

An abscess is nasty, really nasty. Two is doubly nasty. A dear friend had one, like you it came out of the blue and she was quite poorly with it, and like you hospitalised. I'm afraid that you may have to spend a night or so in hospital depending on how they respond to the antibiotics. And they may well advise you that you can't BF for a short while while your body heals. If they're on one side only you may be able to feed from the other side, I guess just see what they say. I think abscesses are caused by undiagnosed mastitis developing unchecked, but I'm not certain? However they happen the are a serious complaint and I'm so glad that you're going to Kings.

I'm sending you as much love, and as many positive thoughts as I can.

SW

Hi Fuschia - have sent you a PM with some advice based on my own experience. You will get good care at the breast clinic at Kings and they will ensure you are on medication strong enough to fight the infection. Not sure if my experience was typical but on the postive side, I was able to continue to feed my son and wasn't admitted. However, during the early stages I was at the clinic twice a week to have the abscess drained. Good luck. I really hope you get better soon - it is a really miserable and painful thing to go through.

Kx

The breast clinic were lovely.. and I was impressed to be called at 8.30 this morning with an appt slot!

They changed my antiobiotic, apparently the one given to me by the out of hours doc and by a and e, is not the best one.

They took out lots of fluid, which will be cultured. I go back Thursday.

I am now rattling with antibiotics...

I did think I'd go to work tomorrow, but actually that seems silly.

Weds I do have the babies so unless I'm so ill by then Mr F has to stay home or I arrange extra child care, I'll be up for going somewhere in the morning esp if it's with other mums who can give a hand if strenuous toddler wrangling is required. I do feel like I've been kicked by a horse.

off to bed now for a nap!! The babies have just gone out for a walk (not on their own, obviously)