Getting a 4 yr old to eat after illness

EDmummy

My 4 year old who is usually fitter than butcher's dog has recently had a nasty stomach virus. He did not eat for 4 days because of stomach pain (although did drink a little) and then spent 2 days vomiting. The vomiting has now thankfully stopped and he is able to take greater amounts of fluid but he will not eat. Tomorrow will be 7 days without eating more than a small mouthful a day of food. He is obviously very lethargic and temperamental.

Of course, his stomach must be incredibly sore after so much illness but how can I get him back on the road to recovery? I have tried chocolate and his favourite foods. Nothing is tempting him. He also has what looks like a few ulcers developing in his mouth.

Anyone with any tips? Went to the doctor to rule out appendicitis before he starting the vomiting but not sure when/if I should take him back again.

lucozade (the original version) helps keep energy levels up.

is he drinking enough to keep him from getting dehydrated? he will have been dehydrated after the vomiting anyway. if he's dehydrated, it will be making him feel more poorly. hope he gets well soon xx

Will he drink milk? Maybe try a smoothie packed with loads of fruit (get him involved in making it - my nearly 3 year old won't touch them usually but if he's put the fruit in etc. he'll guzzle it down). Otherwise I agree with the BRAT advice, something I've always used for myself after illness as those foods do seem to help.

Hope he feels better soon.

Thanks! Will try BRAT although so far he has even refused bananas and milk which are his favourite things. He is definitely drinking enough now and although not tried lucozade he did have lemonade with sugar in it (found on the web that a small amount of sugar in lemonade flattens it).

It is amazing how much weight a child can lose in the space of a week. He is unrecognisable. I am hoping that tomorrow he will try something and we'll build on that.

Any other tips greatfully received.

Soups are great. Just give him things that are easy to digest for the next few days, little and often - white rice, chicken, fish in broth if he will eat it. Raw vegetables take a lot of energy to break down so cooked foods are better when your tummy is slightly delicate. I would also avoid wheat (abrasive on stomach lining) and too much fibre to start with. Coming from a nutritional therapist, some of this is against normal 'healthy eating' advice but it's kinder on the digestion.

You could also enquire at the health food shop for protein powders and vitamin powders or liquids to mix in to smoothies or soups, and aloe vera (soothing on the stomach lining). You could also consider replacing some of his friendly bacteria with probiotics specifically formulated for children to ward off future bugs. They can advise you on the best ones at any good health food shop (this does not include Holland & Barrett by the way), and also steer clear of those probiotic drinks from the supermarket as they are full of sugar and not enough friendly bacteria.