Best age to start full time education?

toast

Everything i have read and my instincts say put it off as long as possible, but all of my boys friends at nursery school will be going full time in January (he will be 4 and a few days!), possibly leaving him feeling left out.

I work part time to be with my children and feel like it's way too young, but he loves school and would probably love being with his friends all day. Advice appreciated.

It's a tricky one. I grew up in New Zealand, where the system is very simple - on your 5th birthday you start school. If your birthday falls in the holidays you simply start on the first day of the new term. So much easier than here.

I do agree with you toast, 4 is so young to be starting in full time education. I still haven't figured out how old my children will be when they start (son's birthday is Jan, daughter June) but I really hope they'll be nearer to 5 than 4. They don't legally have to start school until they're 5, so you do have an element of choice, I'm not sure how easy it is!

Hi,

Just wanted to say my daughter went into reception in Jan 2009 (July birthday so missed sept 08) she was 4.5 therefore and it was fine and actually very gentle/play and learning environment with them able to go through to nursery area when they wanted to. In Sept she went up to year 1 and I feel it has all been very easy and smooth with her already knowing her classmates, routine etc and not being so tired each day even though she really is learning and working properly now.

I know every child is different but I honestly felt she was ready for nursery and has thrived ever since so it isn't all bad. The whole DOB thing is a total pain and so confusing though.

Oh and I tell you what 9-3.30 sounds like ages but the days don't half fly by, I am forever rushing to pick her up and did forget completely once when new baby was about 4 months....was shoppingin Peckham at 4pm when they rang and felt like the worst mother in the world - don't think she even noticed!!!

M

Thanks for advice. Had not even thought we might not have a choice in the matter, better check that out. Would be simpler if i had an idea which school we would end up at as dont want to move him more than once and we are unlikely to get into our 6 nearest schools. Good thing we dont have to make any decisions too soon.

My elder daughter's birthday is 2nd Setpember, so she is the eldest in her class and the majority of her friends started school an academic year ahead of her. She hasn't felt the slightest bit left out, and has made loads of new mates in her class. I actually consider it to have been an advantage. Now she has started reception, she doesn't find playtimes nearly as intimidating as some of her classmates as she knows and plays with lots of the 'big kids'.

My second child is going to be in the opposite position, born at the end of July with most of her friends going to be in the academic year below her. At least she'll have the advantage of a sister in the year above, but I'd still far rather I had the opportunity to keep her at home a bit longer.