Who keeps chickens in East Dulwich?

Hi

We got an eglu from ebay which means that the chickens are safe and comfortable - the eglu is fox proof - but they are the most expensive eggs we've ever had. However, they are the freshest and tastiest you could imagine. It's quite special taking a still warm egg from the eglu. You don't need much space but we've got a big garden and let the chickens have more than the run that comes with the eglu. We only let them out of that when we are around, having nearly lost one to an ED fox. They are really like pets and the kids love them. We were advised to get one for each child which was sound advice. It has helped encourage our kids to eat eggs and they get to really know (see) where their food comes from. Have a look at www.omlet.co.uk for more about eglus and www.poultry.allotment.org.uk for a wider perspective. Alec

That is a sad story F...that would be my concern -- too heartbreaking as hens are such endearing creatures [we had bantams as children]. Heard the same thing happening in other parts of ED, the hen death by fox toll in ED seems pretty high, if you let them out of their coups -- wouldn;t really want them couped up in their run all day either -- ho hum, maybe need to move out to country and buy a field.

mmmh, they have foxes in the country, too. I wonder what's worse, being preyed on by foxes or being cooped up, literally, in a run? At least they get fed well, adored by the kids and they're not in a "battery" cage. They're also performing an extremely valuable educational function - our kids know where their food comes from.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> mmmh, they have foxes in the country, too. I

> wonder what's worse, being preyed on by foxes or

> being cooped up, literally, in a run? At least

> they get fed well, adored by the kids and they're

> not in a "battery" cage. They're also performing

> an extremely valuable educational function - our

> kids know where their food comes from.

Agree with all of above -- I'm just talking from my perspective ie 'my over sentimentality of hens running wild and free/need bigger garden/need bigger kids' kinda way...your situation sounds ideal -- many congrats on your new feathered friends -- I LOVE hens -- infact if you need someone to look after them when/if you ever take a holiday, we'd be happy to! BTW, incase you didn't read it, there has already been a thread on this...here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,373424,379875#msg-379875

Might interest you...

Alec John Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> mmmh, they have foxes in the country, too. I

> wonder what's worse, being preyed on by foxes or

> being cooped up, literally, in a run?

Well, tbh I think being ripped to shreds and eaten would score pretty lowly on my list of things to experience in life, and realising that's what's happened to a precious pet isn't much fun for the child, either!

The foxes are very bold, and readily come into the garden in broad daylight, tbh you need a BIG run, as let them scratch freely in the garden even when you're around, at some point you will turn your back, and it's bye bye Henrietta!

If you don't mind being paid in eggs and the pure pleasure of watching the chooks strut their stuff then I may well take you up on that. Thanks for the link to the recent thread on ED chooks, I hadn't noticed that. I'm hoping that if we are diligent enough then we'll have our chooks for some time. The eggs are delicious!

I would truly love to own some chickens. I can sympathise with Fuschia; our much loved long haired guinea pig (Shaggy) was I believe dug out of his pen by a fox.

I'm interested in a pen with a covered 'exercise yard'. We also own a delightful Springer Spaniel who can't be trusted around any animal as her sensitive nose will go into overdrive, so we have learnt to protect other animals from her. I really don't know what square footage chickens need. Our garden is not big but has a lawn area. What do people do cover absence through holidays etc?

We've got six chickens and have been -- so far -- safe from foxes during the day. We've made big improvements to our fencing since having the chickens, and are continuing to improve security. They're never left out of the run if we're not around, and are locked into the coop at night. It is a worry -- we've had a foxes' set next door for the past eight years, although fortunately it appears to be abandoned at the moment. I'm also looking into installing two of these (http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/fox_2.htm) audio fox deterrents which have had great reviews on various poultry keepers' forums: does anyone local have any experience of them?

On the plus side -- the chooks are brilliant pets: friendly and very funny to have around. The eggs are a marvel too!

Does anyone fancy an ED chicken-keepers' meet-up at some point? A holiday chicken-sitting exchange could be useful too if anyone's interested...

Agathoise (and Ginger, Queenie, Snowy, Misty, Spot and Daisy the chickens)

It should be possible to "co-own" some chickens and share the maintenance responsibilities, as well as the delicious eggs and joy of chicken watching. We haven't been away since we got our chooks but I'm hoping our neighbours will be tempted to look after them this summer with the promise of fresh eggs every day.

I also think that protecting the birds is partly about context - where you live, what existing deterrents there are etc. It seems that how much freedom you give your chooks is mainly down to your conscience.

our three -one for each child - are called Milly, Molly and Mandy. Perhaps the ED chicken fanciers should meet up over a joint omelet. Or we could just bring along our fave egg recipes. It would be good to have chicken owners to look after our brood when you are away, for peace of mind.