15 months old and given up on food

I'm so fed up of worrying over my boy - he's 15 months old and weighs 20lb which means that he has dropped from 25th centile at birth to 2nd. He hasn't put on an ounce since September - although in the meantime he's had a chest infection and 4 teeth arrive. He has lots of energy and bombs around all day (naps are not that popular either)and food is way down on his list of priorities, he likes to subsist on the odd pot of fromage frais and nubs of cheese. I realise this sounds like an open-shut case and the tiny bit of sensible brain that I've got left knows that I'm getting screwed up over nothing but I'd really love to hear any 'my baby was just the same stories...' because the collective hand-wringing and 'oh dears' of the health visitor, GP, grandmas etc are starting to rub off on me!

Very common around that age. My daughter did the same for weeks on end and it would worry me silly but she still had masses of energy even if she had only had a couple mouthfuls of something and a little yogurt all day! She still goes through the phase and is 2 in 2 weeks. Every few weeks she just point blank refuses to eat.

Best to just continue offering food as usual, if he doesn't want it just leave it a while and see if he picks at it. Don't let it frustrate you because he will pick up your agitated and continue to wind you up. Just let him get on with it as he wishes I'd say. We did this and its fine, sometimes she isn't hungry, sometimes she is! It will all even out I'm sure. Think if he is still full of energy he must be running on something..

All the best, it can be very worrying and frustrating.

my daughter was very similar, dropped from 25th centile to below 0.4th. She was always active and rarely got ill but health visitors weren't happy at all. She's now nearly 2 and and still very fussy and small but probably above 0.4th centile. Try not to worry- easier said than done I know especially when others can't help but comment!

Snap crystal exactly the same with my daughter. She is now one of the most intelligent, bright, cheerful and happy little girls. Nothing was ever wrong she just wasn't by the book with her weight. I do genuinely think unless your instincts tell you something is wrong with your child they are probably just fine. Hopefully stories of other mothers going through it will help you feel reassured. Toddler-hood is a totally different ball game now, the independence and confidence is growing. They start to test where the boundaries lie. Believe me, I'm a witness!

My daughters most used word for the past 3 weeks is, NO!!! But she isn't naughty she just always seems to test our reactions to her behaviour. On the other hand last night we spent the night watching her perform the whole twinkle twinkle little star song into the handle of her scooter, its not all too bad!

We had exactly the same issue with my daughter (now 2) who dropped from 25th percentile at birth to below 0.4th. HP was concerned so we went to Kings to see consultant who couldn't find anything the matter. Was very worrying at the time but looking back now I should have trusted my instincts that nothing was wrong, she is just small. She has always been full of energy and happy, good sleeper etc - if anything was wrong then I think one of these factors would have been off. It's hard not to worry about it, especially if you're a first time mum, and getting the experts to give him the once over may well put your mind at rest (it did mine). I think these weight charts are more trouble than they're worth sometimes and you have to interpret them in the context of what the parents are like and how the little one is in themselves.