Hummy Mummies - a new choir for mums and tots

Hi folks

Posted this in the "what's on" section but it was suggested to me that this would be a better place for it.

This is to let you know about a new drop-in choir for mums which I'm starting on Monday 14 November in Christchurch, Barry Road, East Dulwich, from 10-11am, costing ?8 per session. The idea is that you are free to bring your toddler, but the choir is aimed at mums, so it's adult singing (harmonies and everything!). The website is at www.hummymummies.com - it's currently in development but there is some information on there. I thought I'd get it out as soon as possible. If the session is really oversubscribed then I will do a second one as well. The plan is for this to be a weekly event. It will be a pop/rock/folk music choir, with no experience necessary. You just need to like singing. For those of you who are interested, I direct the Nunhead Community Choir which you may have seen performing around the area, and also London City Voices, a new choir based in the City. Please sign up to the Hummy Mummies mailing list to be kept updated.

Sorry for the duplicate posting as well - my computer froze!

Reposting my comment from the other bit of the forum too.

Just to say, the website is now a little more populated and we also have a Facebook page and a Twitter account. I hope to see lots of mums at the first meeting.

I've been asked by several of you about the repertoire - the short answer is that we'll see when we get going - I'm happy to arrange to order. I've had extensive arranging experience and you can hear some examples on the links above, but we'll see what sort of stuff you'd like to do. I thought we'd have a look at some Christmas material as an easy way in (but perhaps something from the Christmas Album rather than carols?).

Also been asked if dads are welcome... yes, very much, but it's still going to be called Hummy Mummies! winking smiley And I'll write special parts for any men that show up. I'm quite expecting to be the only adult Y-chromosome in the room though...

Hi Sparkle

I'd certainly like to do another day too, the restriction for me is the venue - they are currently only free on Mondays. I wanted to make that the venue for the first one, mainly because it's something of a well-used hub for mums in the area. However, if people make themselves known to me and give me some idea of availability, I'm sure we can find another mutually convenient time.

Please comment here if you'd like to do this but can't make Mondays and I'll sort something out if there's enough interest to make it viable.

I wish you'd done this a few years ago when mine were little and I wasn't working :( Just to say to anyone thinking of joining, I am in the SE15 based Nunhead Community Choir which Swannieboy directs. It's my one thing I never miss. Even when I'm completely exhausted, a good old sing gets me up and going again. And we sound fabulous (even if I do say so myself).

Yep, I was wondering what there will be to entertain the little ones. As much as I love singing and would be keen to come along, if there's nothing to keep my one entertained he will just eat the music! Also an hour is quite a long time to keep them happy and content.....

Great idea through - good luck!

Thanks for all your feedback and questions so far. I am planning to have some toys there - I wondered what people think would be good? It's been a few years since mine were that old - quite happy to go hunting though. It kind of depends on who comes, to an extent. I'll give it some thought and take into account any more feedback I get here. Many thanks for your interest.

Also to say, if there's clearly enough interest, I will pay someone to come along to help to keep the children occupied. It would be great if those of you who are interested could sign up to the mailing list so I have an idea of numbers. Over 200 views of the thread so far - clearly there are interested parties about. I promise not to send you spam or sell your email address to anyone :)

I'd love to come along. Massive musical theatre fan in Uni and school days! Proudest moment was being the narrator in Joseph for a fairly shonky little student production!

I also was going to mention price :S (thanks Otta!) as ?8 is quite pricey. Appreciate that it's drop in but will limit how often we could come. The PAYG idea is good but still a little high - hope you don't mind me saying and understand you have costs/margin though, just giving feedback as think if you price it right you might get a MASSIVE amount of regular interest!!

Will definitely try to be there for 14th :)

Thank you all for your feedback - this is great - I'm trying to get it right, so your help is much appreciated.

Otta and Bluesuperted, I take on board what you're saying about price. I was actually taking my cue from some of the other events which go on at Christchurch, but I'm happy to drop the price if people feel that it's too high. How about ?6 per session or ?50 for 10?

Also, I wasn't clear in my post - mums with little babies are most welcome too, not just toddlers. You don't even have to be sporting a child. The point is to provide something that mums can come to whereas they may not be able to make an evening one for childcare reasons. It doesn't matter if some of the members aren't mums, but the majority will be.

I'm feeling ridiculously excited about this....despite not having given birth yet!

Would love to pop in whilst waiting for Peanut to turn up and then hopefully will come regularly once I get into the swing of things.....

Must say the drop in price would be hugely appreciated - I think lots of activities for mums and tots are priced around the ?5 mark.

Will definitely add my details to the mailing list.

?50 for 10 PAYG sessions is really reasonable if it still makes sense for you and providing my little one could cope I'd be really tempted to buy a block at that price :)

I assumed gorgeous cute tiny babies were welcome as they are no trouble, it's the rambunctious toddlers we'll be worrying about! Although my boy (15m), while he is very energetic, loves music so it could work brilliantly for him.

I can't wait for next Monday, really excited and thanks for offering something a little different.

Bellenden Belle and bluesuperted, I'm glad you're excited. So am I. And it does still makes sense with the lower price, worry not. I'm more concerned about getting a decent number of people along so we can make a great sound. We can have 50 people in the back hall - I'd like to see at least 20 mums there, preferably 30ish.

In terms of the PAYG - I'm getting some "loyalty cards" made up which you can buy and simply get stamped/ticked every time you come. Then, if you buy a block of 10 and you suddenly can't make the next 3 weeks, it doesn't matter because you can just use them when you can come.

Where would be good places to leave leaflets? I'm going to get some printed, hopefully by Wednesday.

:-) I doubt it. I've probably heard worse.

On that note (no pun intended), please don't feel that you have to be amazing at singing to join Hummy Mummies. Even if you think you can't sing you'll be welcome to come and try. Many music teachers are responsible for making people believe that they cannot sing - were you ever told to mime while everyone else in the class sang at assembly? If that's you, come and have a word with me. I can teach you to pitch in about 20 minutes. Everyone. There is no-one, save for the profoundly deaf, who hasn't got the capacity to sing. I have proved it on numerous occasions. Here's a testimonial from Huey (proprieter of the highly-recommended Bambuni, the new Nunhead deli):

"I can honestly say that my singing lesson with Richard changed my life! Having spent my life believing I couldn't sing, within an hour Richard showed me that was not the case. The lesson, and Richard's encouragement, gave me the confidence to find my voice and even to join my local community choir! Richard possesses the ability to put people at ease and makes breaking down barriers a fun experience."

So come along even if you've never had a go of this sort of thing before.