Air Quality around schools

For parents and carers who are concerned, there is a new campaign to bring change to the harmful level of pollution in the air near Southwark's schools.

The entire borough of Southwark, except for the area to the south of the A205, has been declared an Air Quality Management Area (AQMA). This means the area has been identified as being particularly polluted, largely due to heavy traffic.

Exposure to high levels of nitrogen dioxide pollution affects the function of lungs, especially in children and increased hospital admissions occur in areas with high levels of nitrogen dioxide. The main concentrations of nitrogen dioxide are around busy roads, and there are 48 schools in Southwark within 150m of busy roads.

The Green Party will be calling for the council to take steps to protect people from pollution by:

* reducing traffic near these schools

* helping the schools to protect their students, e.g. by planting absorbant bushes and trees alongside roads and by incorporating pollution into school travel plans

* issuing smog alerts to schools and parents on particularly bad days

* encouraging teachers to measure air pollution with children as science projects

Come to an important council meeting to discuss this problem and start action - this Wed eve 4th July in Southwark . Details on Southwark Green Party website, or on GreenPartySouthwark Twitter. OR call 07914 425 378

"The main concentrations of nitrogen dioxide are around busy roads, and there are 48 schools in Southwark within 150m of busy roads."

We're in central London. I find it difficult to believe that close to 100% of schools are not within 150m of a busy road.

Apart from the first point, which would be best solved by banning parents from driving their kids to school (but that would, of course, go down like the proverbial lead balloon), none of the other ideas I don't believe would actually meet the goal of protecting people from pollution.

Have to say, this would be my key concern about an otherwise excellent school like Goose Green. From when I walk past there on a regular basis I have never seen any green space there at all, all just concreted over. Also don't know why so many people in E.D. seem to feel the need to drive at all, and especially SUV's, this is zone 2 people!

Sadly, I don't think that any of the state schools in ED have grassy fields/playgrounds. Goose Green school does however have a green screen of absorbent bushes and trees, a lovely wildlife garden, vegetable patch, gardening club, mini beast mansion and basically does everything it can to encourage an understanding of and love of nature within the constraints of the building.

Cyberia, if you ever get the chance to come into the school come and take a look at the nursery playground which can't be seen from Grove Vale very well or from Tintagel at all. It all looks different from the inside!

I think most schools are keen to encourage children to walk to school, personally, when I can do the drop offs and pick ups it seems to me to be a really fun part of the children's day, waving to their mates and running in or out with them at the beginning and end of every day. Those who drive when they don't absolutely have to are really missing out on this.