Calling all estate agents

jfish

Are you looking for a new challenge?

Do you have a provable talent for sales?

Ever thought about running your own Company but didn't have the capital or patience?

We have a great opportunity for you.

We're looking to recruit for our new East Dulwich office - and we are looking for the very best.

The opportunity is a share of the Company for the person with commensurate experience and ability to drive our business forward in 2013.

Salary will be target related, and for the right individual very very competitive.

PM or call James on 0208 690 7766 / 07855 828 736.

But we are different, and we aren't taking up any shop space on the lane Simon, which I agree are more useful being retail shops.

We are also offering employment to perhaps a local resident.

If you have such opinions, please voice them on another thread. I believe the term is thread crapping.

Merry Christmas to you too.

jfish Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But we are different, and we aren't taking up any shop space on the lane Simon, which I agree are

> more useful being retail shops.

If you're http://www.fishneedwater.com/ does this mean you're going to have just an upstairs office?

"We have decided to get an office. The type that everyone can see, especially when its dark (as it has an illuminated sign). A real office. A high street office. In East Dulwich. Home of perhaps 57 other agents, no less. OK, maybe 17. I haven?t actually counted as that might put the jeepers up me."

"So we?re going to be another boring high street agency, in a high street that already has far too many. But we?re not boring ..." http://blog.fishneedwater.com/.

A Merry Christmas to you too, jfish!

Given that a read of this forum reveals a certain lack of enthusiasm locally for more estate agents, I think a response like mine could have been predicted. In your place, I might have taken the opportunity to defuse the animosity, perhaps with a joke, or better for you, an explanation of what your agency brings that the existing ones lack. It would have been a great advertising opportunity.

'Thread crapping' is a new one on me too, but I do know that across the internet attempts by thread starters to dictate what is posted on their threads are doomed to failure.

I am so fed up of people on this forum berating estate agents - people need to move house and they need estate agents to do it. People who think they can do it on their own are muppets who have no idea of the legal implications of their ignorance.

Instead, I suggest that you should attack the numerous pointless 'gift' shops on and around Lordship Lane selling the same inane rubbish as each other, rather than the people that are trying to providing a service to locals.

And I'm really not interested in all of the inevitable posts that will come from the left wings locals on this forum who have no concept of property law, who feel that they know better and can do a better job than any of the local estate agents - don't bother posting in reply, because I won't rise to your ignorance.

There's a difference between being anti estate agents per se and being weary of the sheer number of them in this area. Any thread on here about things people would like to see in East Dulwicj always throws up a lot of ideas, the community would appreciate a wide range of new enterprises and so of course there's weariness when we end up with yet another estate agent in this saturated market. We want diversity. You'll find a similar reaction to another new Indian restaurant in an already crowded market, unless it offers something different.

While I happen to agree with you about the gift shops (I bow to the wallet of anyone able to do all their Christmas shopping on Lordship Lane), shops provide a service as much as estate agents, and estate agents are there to make money as much as shops. I've recently bought and sold, using estate agents, and there really is no shortage of people to provide this service. They are fighting over a finite number of properties. And as most people will use them once or twice over several years, they bring less to the ongoing community than other resources.

And estate agents are not the experts in property law. That's conveyancing solicitors. I was given wrong information about leases, party walls and planning permission during my searches. I value the role of agents in progressing a sale, and a good one can take a lot of the stress out of the process, but they shouldn't be relied on for legal advice.

merylou Wrote:

> I am so fed up of people on this forum berating

> estate agents - people need to move house and they

> need estate agents to do it. People who think they

> can do it on their own are muppets who have no

> idea of the legal implications of their

> ignorance.

>

> Instead, I suggest that you should attack the

> numerous pointless 'gift' shops on and around

> Lordship Lane selling the same inane rubbish as

> each other, rather than the people that are trying

> to providing a service to locals.

>

> And I'm really not interested in all of the

> inevitable posts that will come from the left

> wings locals on this forum who have no concept of

> property law, who feel that they know better and

> can do a better job than any of the local estate

> agents - don't bother posting in reply, because I

> won't rise to your ignorance.

Please point me to the exams that estate agents need to pass in order to sell property? You say don't bother posting in reply because I won't rise to your ignorance.......that would be because you have nothing to base your statements on. It is possible to sell your own property without an agent and possible to do the conveyancing yourself, although selling a leasehold flat is fraught with difficulty due to lease complexities. Like Simone said, a conveyancer is needed for issues like that if you have no conveyancing/legal experience.

Hello Simonethebeaver

The reason I felt it was wrong for you to comment in the manner you did is because my thread wasn't about gaining business, but rather offering work to the local community. I am fully aware of how most communites feel about having another 'useless' estate agent, and Dulwich resdients are no different from any other local community in this respect.

But as I tried to convey, I am offering employment to ideally a local person, and potentially somebody not currently in employment and this is in my opinion can only be regarded as a good thing. Your comments brought the tone down somewhat.

I also mentioned that we're not on the high street and have taken over a premise formally occupied by a betting office and which was closed for over 12 months, so surely us occuppying this particular unit is better than it being empty? Its 1-2 The Parade, near to the station. I too would rather see all high streets used with retailers who serve the community and in fact help to attract others. I frequent E/Dulwich myself for what it offers though I live 2.7 miles away in Honor Oak Park.

Our business model is different, and I actually didn't choose Dulwich for any reason other than it was a great space available at a reasonable price. Our landlord is the L/A and not charging us private landlord rates. In fact my preference was Forest Hill as I have been resident for 25 years, but what we were offered was lots smaller and lots more in rent!

Previously we were non high street, working from a business unit but we outgrew it and it was cheaper to move to where we are now than increase the size of the unit we were using at the time.

I'm no PR expert EDW, and didn't intend to use a thread to tell anyone about us, I will reserve this for when people actually get in touch. If ever you do you will see that I am pretty straight to deal with and do have a personality that appeals to most.

Ian if you find estate agents boring, then hey, its your perogative. We all have our own opinions. I find most services useless and boring too, except for when I actually need them. Except for gift shops, which I almost always end up buying something that I really didn't need, but felt compelled too.

With regards other comments about selling via agency or selling youself. We actually do a bit of both, which makes us different. I belive you can actually do a pretty good job without needing a full agency service, as long as you get the marketing stretgy right, presention right (exceptional marketing) and get seen in all the right places - something we can facilitae for those not wanting to spend ?xx,xxx on agency fees.

I have no issue with people knowing who we are in any respect, but well observed EDW!

Thread crapping I believe is a term used on other blogs / forum's (I'm sure there is a plural)when somebody starts a thread and another member changes the direction of the thread to the original posters intention.

Thanks for all your comments, even the ones that condemned me.

Best

James

fishneedwater

PS Do please pass on our details if any of you know any agents / good quality sales people looking for work locally.

I think the point is that it's WRONG! Estate agents are the people who take from you extortionate admin fees, reference check "charges" and all sorts of other highly controversial "fees" so I do not see why this particular group of blood suckers should have some special rates, I would charge them TRIPLE to what the other business pay!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, Paul, if I were a landlord or a house-seller I'd want an agent who was absolutely viperous. Character defect of mine, surely, but 3.5% of several hundred thousand pounds is, erm, a lot of dosh. I'd rather that that dosh go into my pocket than someone else's. Your ripoff, The Viper's demonstration of increased housing demand. Indeed might not jfish applaud you for making this thread a hoarding on which you've placarded his... scaly, cold-blooded, and sharp-toothed charms?

• 2 weeks later...

macrobana Wrote:

> jfish Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Our business model is different

> >

> > Our landlord is the L/A and not charging us

> private landlord rates.

> >

> Council subsidises estate agent.

Not at all. Why would you think this? The council own lots of commercial properties and their rates are just not extortionate (when compared to those rented privately). I'm sure the many thousands of small private business that are put out of business every year by unjustifiable increases by their 'private' landlords would prefer to pay a more affordable rent.

paulwaw1 Wrote:

> I think the point is that it's WRONG! Estate

> agents are the people who take from you

> extortionate admin fees, reference check "charges"

> and all sorts of other highly controversial "fees"

> so I do not see why this particular group of blood

> suckers should have some special rates, I would

> charge them TRIPLE to what the other business

> pay!!!

And if you rented a property that you owned Paul, would you let to just anyone without wishing to see some background checks had been made to verify their ability to maintain a large commitment?

I do agree though that some charges by some agents are unjustifiably high.

The rates we pay aren't special at all. We paid the same as the previous business did.

Alex K Wrote:

> Well, Paul, if I were a landlord or a house-seller

> I'd want an agent who was absolutely viperous.

> Character defect of mine, surely, but 3.5% of

> several hundred thousand pounds is, erm, a lot of

> dosh. I'd rather that that dosh go into my pocket

> than someone else's. Your ripoff, The Viper's

> demonstration of increased housing demand. Indeed

> might not jfish applaud you for making this thread

> a hoarding on which you've placarded his...

> scaly, cold-blooded, and sharp-toothed charms?

Ha Ha Alex K, I wished I could charge 3.5%.

Unlike what Paul thinks, we actually don't charge questionable 'admin fees' to tenants. Heck we don't even charge a fee to arrange and prepare tenants tenancy agreement (we do it for free). Not too many other agents I know that are reasonable and fair about the charges.

We do charge a reference fee, but that's because Landlords generally don't want to take a punt on a persons ability to pay their rent, and strangely enough if an agent can't prove due diligence when agreeing a contract for a landlord, if it all goes Pete Tong, the agent might find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit from a viperous and pretty disgruntled landlord.

Best,

James