Update re learning sax singing or guitar? Friern Rd, East Dulwich

danmaitland

Hi ED stalwarts. Updated update..

I am now entrusted with yet further musical aspirations from the fine and talented folk of the ED manor..

including last night taking over the reins of the very fine goose green choir - from the very impressive Rob - who is a fantastic singer and musician and choir leader. I believe they are going to be mounting a recruitment drive - so look out in Lordship lane for any notices or contact me if you're interested and I'll point you at an administrator.

Further to that taught a lovely lady Aint No Sunshine this morning - it's easy folks... And am getting down with a bit of sax madness this evening with my man Andy..

I now have 6 regular Ed students and am going to cap it at about 15.

As I said before, I hope to demystify the process - taking the uneccessary frustration and nonsense out of learning. My intention is to empower you as quickly as possible, to be able to learn what you need at your own pace under your own steam ? including how to use resources like youtube, google, and of course, most importantly your own music collection.

I live in Friern Rd, East Dulwich,and am happy to travel within a 5 mile radius - or teach from my home.

I teach saxophone, singing, songwriting and guitar. Please get in touch if you are interested

Dan Maitland

Hi,

I'm interested in learning to play the sax. I've played guitar for years but always fancied learning another instrument.

I heard through a friend that your approach was nice and relaxed, and suits people who don't just want to learn jazz saxophone, which is the only style the teachers I've come across seem to know.

Would you do lessons from your place or come out to mine?

Is it mostly evenings & weekends or can you do sessions during the day?

Thanks,

Simon

HI Simon. Thanks for your interest. Glad your friend liked my teaching - always nice to know...

It does seem that most sax teachers are fixated on jazz - not that it's not great music, but the student - if they are a recreational musician - is far more likely to need to know how to fit in to the music his friends are playing at parties and in jam sessions etc.. And as you know, as a guitarist, that's gonna be 12 bar blues - in E!! rock in E!!! (see where I am going here?) and lots of classic and contemporary funk and soul and pop tunes... Playing on this material is a whole different musical vocabulary than jazz - and in fact being overburdened with altered scales and chord knowledge can be a disadvantage. As I found out to my cost when I first starting doing professional gigs.

Anyway, obviously you've hit a hobbie horse of mine so I'll shut up.

I teach anytime - so long as we can schedule it in with some notice - from 10 am - though to 9pm - and am happy to come to yours - as it's nice to get out into the world - but am fine teaching from home also.

Phew; long answer..

Hope that helps

And best of luck

Dan.