The old Mag Pub on Lordship Lane (The Patch)

gazza_g

As Miss Wiggy says there is a lot of info at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/362893753/londons-first-100-self-sustaining-gastropub see her link above and a video that says they have funding for the building - reckon its William Rose and Moxons etc with some other financiers - sounds like its a first for ED & we should support it! Maybe they are going to make a big public announcement website etc - but let's support local enterprise it's good for everyone here!! P and G

Love the idea and am about to pledge...just two qs (for now).

Does anyone know which primary schools they are working with? (My eldest is at Goodrich and would love her to experience this).

What happens if they don't acquire ?17,500 by April 11?

So how come Steve (the outgoing manager) told me on the day he left that the Mag had gone back to the brewery, who were going to put in a temporary manager until such time as they found a new permanent manager?

Was he lying?

ETA: The link given above says that ?335 has been raised towards a ?17,500 goal, with 24 days to go. Quite a shortfall, then ..... Let's not count any chickens .....

ETA: And a thread started some months ago by Arnold asking for contributions towards this venture did not exactly cause the forum to vibrate with excitement ....

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,997116,page=1

ETA: Who is gazza_g, originator of this thread and a first time poster on the forum?

Does it matter?.....someone has come up with a way of doing something different with the pub, it may happen it may not but at least they've come up with an idea and have obviously put time and effort Into the venture which should be applauded and supported....

Hear hear Cora and PandG!

There are many threads on this forum complaining about the loss of independent shops and restaurants / cafes - I think it's great that someone is making the effort to consider what we all love about our area and has come up with an idea that fits in with the ethic that so many feel strongly about.

Lets give it some support, and fingers crossed it gets off the ground!

Well done Cora & Miss Wiggy - we should all support anything that enhances ED and local businesses - even if 'Arnold' is trying to put a proposal together lets support him and or the 'Brewery' that may have taken the pub back.

It will be better than having another closed commercial property on Lordship Lane.

Sue - Doubt Steve was informed of future plans or taken into anyones confidence on the Mag's future!!

PandG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Sue - Doubt Steve was informed of future plans or

> taken into anyones confidence on the Mag's

> future!!

Yes, that's true of course, though I'm sure he would know if anybody had actually bought it yet, which it appears they haven't.

So if it's still open - and I have no idea if it is - then presumably he was correct that a temporary manager had been employed by the brewery?

I hope these very ambitious plans for the Mag materialise. All credit to Arnold for trying.

Gosh, first the Ivy House, now this! It's all happening!

I'm a bit surprised at this bit though:

"The venue?s location on Lordship Lane ensures a substantial footfall throughout the day and evening, the street is widely regarded as the social hub of S.E London."

The Mag is not on the main stretch of Lordship Lane, and hardly has a substantial footfall past it, I would have thought? You would have to be heading for it specifically, as there's nothing much else around there.

ETA: According to this, it's "under offer"

http://www.enterpriseinns.com/Pages/Properties/PubSearch.aspx?q=se22

Not sure what's going to happen - no fanfares no publicity but a hand written note says it's re-opening on Monday 25th - doubt it's the patch people though.

It seems from another notice in the window that Enterprise Inns plc/Unique Pub Properties Ltd re-possessed the Mag on the 18th March.

murt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not impressed with the number of dissolved

> companies associated with one or two of the people

> involved with the "Patch" proposal.

Good grief, murt, you do sound a bit like a cross between mort and murk there....you know Death and fog...not ever so positive. All a dissolved company means is that someone started a company and then decided they didn't want it. It doesn't tell you anything about the directors or what happened with the company (if a company has been shut down by the regulator, that's struck off, not dissolved, dissolved just means the directors closed it). Lots of people register company names and then never do anything with the company. I don't want to go sounding Californian or anything but really, this looks like a very inventive project that could be a great thing.

No-one loses anything by offering backing at this stage - your card is only debited if it goes ahead - and if it does go ahead, you are guaranteed two drinks and apparently as many herbs as you can pick for ?10. You'd come out ahead of a trip to the supermarket. I don't know the people involved at all, I just used to know the Mag and it would be a shame if a great space went to waste. There are now two successful recently opened niche shops right next to the Patch (Mag) which look like they are doing very well? - which shows that people will head off the "beaten track" for the right experience. The Mag was always packed in its first few years and Jacks always looked busy too. By the way, we had people coming from all over London for Language Lounge at the Mag - Essex even! If the Police Station does end up as a supermarket or any retail premises, that would no doubt increase the footfall and the viability of the project.

There was a place in Kings X that tried this sort of thing, got good reviews but i think it's closed now. I like the idea but as someone from a farming background only sourcing food 15 miles round inner London is madness. I'd go for 60 to 80 miles then you've got Kent and Essex to draw from (good for fruit and fish) i think 80 miles is the limit Farmers Markets in London use.

A slight aside. Met one of the people behind Kickstarter last week as over here promoting UK set-up. Kickstarter has no responsibility for projects once target achieved. Monies get handed over to fund raiser and it is then down to them to deliver project. Unable to answer the question of what happens if project never undertaken and monies provided by backers. As with any similar scheme, make sure you know who and what you are backing. I won't comment on this scheme as don't know people in question. I've backed several kickstarter and Pledge schemes - albeit where I have known those behind project or friend has recommended to me.