Extension - Architect/ Builder/ advice!

Nikkikf

Hi

This is my advice and I expect lots of intelligent debate afterwards :-)

I had gone down the route of an architect for a similar build and after a while realised the cost and advice of an architect for me was a waste of money. The stage payments were expensive for the services I received and I stopped their services.

In the end I used a structural engineer along with a draughtsman to draw up the plans to my spec. I then shopped around and tendered to builders and managed the build/costs myself and it worked a very cost effective route.

Now I am not saying that my experience is common but if the build is run of the mill then you get these drawn up without expensive architects and using decent builders who have done similar builds. If you are however going in for a Grand Design then that's something else and go and get an architect.

Like I said I expect some debates but everyone is allowed an opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going down the same route as Montassa. Unless you are redesigning your house and looking for innovative ideas, I wouldn't bother with an architect.

I've engaged a structural engineer and a draughtsman too as mine is a simple extension ie moving the back wall back a few metres. It's about 1/3 of the price and allows me to throw more money on the actual build

It is part of our usual process to arrange the plans including structural calcs. We go through a design stage which enables us to quote for what you actually want rather than a guessing game. When the quote is accepted and after all the details are confirmed including planning permission if required, we have construction drawings" produced along with structural overlays. No point in spending a lot of money on services you may not need.

I'd say that if you want a bog standard extension and don't really care about design then just use a builder.

If you are spending most of your savings on the project I would get professional advice. Architects can offer a lot more than just a drawing service for planning submission.

Hello,

I work with builders and engineers to draft technical plan drawings for planning permission. If you know what you want in terms of layout and if the area is not listed or a conservation area then applying for planning permission can be relatively straight forward. I have builders i can recommend or am happy to work with you and your chosen builder to draw up the existing and proposed drawings as required. For more information please see www.studiobeekhuis.com

I can recommend Zang Banda as a structural engineer - got a recommendation from this site actually. Very impressed. I was out the day he came round to do the survey for three steel supports in different rooms. My plasterer was here though and he informed me he that Zang was here for just over 3 hours and was meticulous in his measurements etc, attention to detail etc. My plasterer said in his experience S.E's are often in and out in 15 mins.

The drawings were excellent and he then recommended a great builder for the install - Zak - who we are also going to be using again.

Here's his website

http://www.zhbdesignconsultantbeckenham.co.uk/

Hi Nikki, Mc Govern Carpentry and Design who I have used, and highly recommend work alongside an architect. They carried out a kitchen and Bathroom Refurbishment for me, in my buy to let.

local, very fairly priced and great to work with, I have earmarked Mc Govern for my next venture

Mc Govern Office 0208 432 2247

Edited due to grammar error. Sorry

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I hope you are well.

I saw your post and wondered if you could recommend the builder that you used for your extension ? We will soon be looking to renovate our house in Dulwich and add an extension on the back.

Thanks in advance !

Oliver

I had two extensions built. I used a posh architects firm initially - complete waste of money. Now I would always recommend finding the builder first. Any good builder will work with a structural engineer and architect. My builder, David O Brien, provided both these people, and they were excellent and great value for money. The whole project was an absolute delight. Let me know if you'd like his details.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

It's good to get a few quotes from different builders. I am a designer and I often use Ajax Builders who are a design and build firm, they do lots of residential work. They can also draw up the plans and put in for planning permission etc.

www.ajaxbuilders.co.uk

Contact Jack: 0788 6227480 or 0208 201 3626

Regards,

Francine