Builder recommendations.

Waffo

Dear All,

As many others, I am looking for some recommendations for builders. I have just bought a house that needs a lot of TLC. A brief outline of what we're hoping to do may help you with your recommendations - or for builders to get in touch.

Downstairs we're hoping to knock through our two reception rooms and add a side return. We want to remove some of the enormous chimney breasts throughout the house. We'd like to add an L shaped loft extension. The whole house needs re-wiring and re-plumbing, the walls re-plastered. Floors levelled - possibly. Ceilings levelled - possibly. We'd like the garden to be levelled and a patio laid down.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!

Andrea

We are also looking for recommendations for builders for what sounds like a similar projec to Andrea's - although I don't think we'll be able to do the side return and the loft conversion just yet. We are looking for someone to rewire and replumb the whole house, knock through a chimney breast in the kitchen and extend out the back (there is an existing conservatory but that will probably have to be knocked down), fit a new kitchen and bathroom, take off the heavily textured wallpaper and generally redecorate.

If anyone has any recommendations please get in touch!

Thanks.

Emily

We just completed essentially exactly what Waffo is describing. We used Prestige Build & Management (well recommended on here). Ultimately they did a fantastic job - a superb, friendly team that delivers a high quality product. Be aware though that, as with probably most of these kind of big projects there were many unanticipated extras which took the cost substantially over budget.

I'd recommend trying them for a quote although I think they are usually pretty booked-up. I'd suggest you try and think of as many small details as possible in advance and get them built into the price. Given the scale of what you are planning I'd probably also consider hiring an architect too, although Prestige can handle that as well.

Contact details for Prestige = Jay Gentle: 07985 727372

We hired T Positive Interior Designers to refurbish our property, which was trashed by vacated tenants. They did an excellent job throughout by undertaking a number of complicated and challenging tasks that involved plumbing, electrical rewiring and installations, plastering, carpentry works and redecorating to restore the property to an habitable condition.

As well as producing high quality works, Robert, Elaine and their team were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. They were very forthcoming with ideas and suggestions to achieve the best outcomes. It was also reassuring that they adhered to the required regulations and therefore knew exactly who to contact about issues of concerns, of which there were many. (With this in mind it is vital to have a contingency budget.)

We were very apprehensive about choosing a builder due to past experience. However, their positive and reassuring approach convinced us they were right for the job. We are delighted with the results and are happy to recommend them.

You can find them at: -www.tpid.co.uk or telephone on 020 8699 6774.

I would very happily recommend the builders we used- they are called Emerald & Clay and did a superb job for us. We had what sounds like quite a similar build, and initially struggled to find builders that could both take on a project of this size and also that were reasonably priced and that we trusted. (All important things to me!)

We actually bought what turned out to be a bit of a wreck and it needed a lot of work! We had to rebuild the back of the house which was subsiding a bit. We put in a new kitchen and opened up the whole back of the house to the garden. We also put in a new bathroom- and they were creative in suggesting we didn?t replace the ceiling in the bathroom, leaving it vaulted with new skylights which transformed the space. We also re-wired, re-plumbed and re-plastered the house. We also did a loft conversion, repointed a lot of external brickwork, put in a new boiler and outside they landscaped the garden for us creating a really nice patio garden, retaining a little bit of lawn for our dog.

I have to say I was a bit overwhelmed with the amount of work we ended up doing, but they project managed the build very well and stuck to budgets. Also a massive bonus to me was that they were very considerate about keeping things tidy and working around us, as we remained living in the house during most of the build.

We have recently moved house so can?t offer to show you their work, but can always send you pics if you want.

My main contact there was Will. His email address is [email protected] and his mobile is 075 8864 8868.

PM me if you?d like any more info!