We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors




Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageSolicitor recommendations, please - Alzheimer's, Power of Attorney and the Court of Protection
Posted by Pedro Rey 26 October, 2017 16:23

Hello, can anybody recommend a solicitor who offers advice on Power of Attorney/Court of Protection with regard to Alzheimer's sufferers? We're currently dealing with a situation where the Enduring POA in place doesn't provide sufficient authority for us to take some fairly urgent decisions about our parent's welfare, and would like some legal advice on the best way to proceed. Ideally this would be local but, realistically, anywhere across Greater London would be fine. We're currently talking to the Alzheimer's Society and Age UK but it would be great if someone who's been through something similar knows of a solicitor who could advise us.

I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try! Please drop me a PM if you know of anyone who could help.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2017:10:26:16:42:39 by Pedro Rey.

messageRe: Solicitor recommendations, please - Alzheimer's, Power of Attorney and the Court of Protection
Posted by Pugwash 27 October, 2017 01:10

William Baileys in East Dulwich Road. Should be able to give you advice.

I had a LPA (Lasting Power of Attorney) for my father for his financial and property affairs only. The reason for this initially was my father was becoming blind and unable to deal with his affairs. He was also in the early stages of dementia but able at that time to go along to his local solicitor in Sussex with me to get all the paperwork done. He was already a self funder in a care home so there was no need to have the Welfare Section applied for. At the time of his death, he was blind, deaf, had end stage dementia and was physically frail.

Was your Enduring Power of Attorney registered with the Courts of Protection? I am assuming from your post that you may have had the property and finance authorisation only and not the welfare. LPAs superseded Enduring Powers so I do not think you can request the welfare section to be considered on this EPA.

If your relative lacks mental capacity and this can be verified by an appropriate professional i.e. social worker,
doctor who can legally complete the necessary statement in the Court of Protection paperwork. you will need to submit to the Public Guardianship Office. From experience, new applications can take several weeks and you will need to submit a fee when sending up papers.

The Alzheimer's Society and Age UK are both very knowledgeable and their fact sheets are very informative and can be read on line.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum