Local tennis club recommendations

Dardania1

Hi all,

I?ve been doing some online research to find a tennis club in the Dulwich/East Dulwich/Peckham/Camberwell area that my husband could join, but thought it might be useful to actually ask in this Forum for people?s recommendations.

I?m looking in particular for a friendly place where he could drop in on evenings after work and be relatively certain that there will be other people around with whom to play a game - i.e. a place that does not necessarily require bookings in advance but relies on drop ins (at least part of the time). I expect at this stage he is an ?intermediate ? type player - experienced but quite rusty.

If people know of places that have indoor as well as outdoor courts, that would be a bonus.

With thanks in advance for all your recommendations!

Era

Dulwich Lawn tennis Club and Old College at probably best bets for evening drop ins/social clubs.

I played at North Dulwich Lawn tennis Club when I was younger and would say that is a bit more intimate/friendly but that is just my opinion.

Nothing indoor around here - Islington is nearest I think.

Good luck!

Hi, you're spoilt for choice for tennis clubs round here. I've played at all of them at some point, they're all nice in their own way and probably any of them could do what you want, so it may be more down to feel and location.

As cfccfc2 says the two big ones are Old College on Gallery Road and Dulwich Lawn Tennis by the railway arches on Burbage Road, both good clubs with lots of players and organised sessions. I personally find Dulwich more friendly (disclaimer: this is my club now) but the courts are better at Old College.

Then there's North Dulwich next to JAGS, they've just got 2 new floodlit courts and seem to be doing well. Camber down on the south circular, small but with some really good players. And Edward Alleyn on Burbage Road which is more of a social club, very friendly but might be harder than the others to find people to play with.

I'm sure any of them will show you round if you ask and you'll get a sense of which one will work best for you. Have fun exploring!