Opinions and experience wanted - I need a new Windows Laptop!

PeckhamRose

Hi all, I can't do all the work on my phone and my laptop is about 12 years old. I have always had Toshibas and would be happy to continue with them. But they are not sold in the shops anymore; just in "Resellers"; ie. places like Computacentre on Blackfriars Road. Also, I have not experienced the delights of Windows 10 yet.

Please offer any suggestions based on personal experience! Are HPs any good? Any other brands you could recommend? I need a good solid high performance laptop and would buy a Lifetime Office as an extra for my work. I am not a gamer but do watch telly on it sometimes.

Thanks muchly!

These guides generally seem to give decent advice.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2018/may/03/can-i-buy-a-fast-and-powerful-work-laptop-for-under-700-pounds-budget

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/19/what-is-the-best-laptop-for-300-pounds

Personal experience I have a Surface Pro with a keyboard so went down a different route. Had Dells and Toshibas and HP in the past. If I was buying one now I'd probably go Lenovo. Dull, but solid. We have loads at work and they rarely fail, as much as anything though I'd be trying out the keyboard and seeing what's comfortable. And getting loads of RAM.

Hi Rose

I went into John Lewis Oxford St yesterday to look at laptops for my teenage granddaughter?s birthday.

They were incredibly helpful and echoed a lot of what is in the Guardian articles helpfully posted by ruffers (except obviously the buying reconditioned bit!).

I?d already read the Which guidance as well and found it?s all pretty much the same advice.

It seems that reliability is so much about the particular brand, but which particular model and of course the spec.

You pay a lot more for slimness and lightness. There were a few on show that were good performers, but heavier to carry and less attractive to look at.The Which reports also include things like screen definition and sound quality.

JL were good at pointing out the pros and cons. If you have time, I?d recommend popping in,

Best Wishes,

Pam

I think we?ve probably all guilty of doing that to JL!

When I was there meandering around yesterday, I realised how many memories that shop holds for me - seeing the expectant couples looking at baby stuff, dads kitting out kids for university and some of the cafe staff who?ve been there for years. Whenever it?s possible and practical, I buy from there just to keep it going.

(And for the free coffee & cake 😊!)

Oh..and back to your point about Windows 10. The toxic effect of sudden Windows 10 updates on an old laptop finally drove me to a Mac. I think you should be fine on a powerful new computer though.

Good luck in your quest!

I did not have a good experience in JL when buying my laptop.

The afternoon I went, the people there were struggling to answer questions and their knowledge seemed pretty limited.

I got the impression they hadn't worked there long :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I did not have a good experience in JL when buying

> my laptop.

>

> The afternoon I went, the people there were

> struggling to answer questions and their knowledge

> seemed pretty limited.

>

> I got the impression they hadn't worked there long

> :(

They probably dont know that much. I find the best place to do my research is online:)

Callie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I did not have a good experience in JL when

> buying

> > my laptop.

> >

> > The afternoon I went, the people there were

> > struggling to answer questions and their

> knowledge

> > seemed pretty limited.

> >

> > I got the impression they hadn't worked there

> long

> > :(

>

> They probably dont know that much. I find the best

> place to do my research is online:)

I completely agree.

But unless you are happy to order something without having tried the keyboard out,listened to the speakers etc in the flesh, you are a bit stuck.

Because in my experience John Lewis and other shops never have the models recommended in online reviews.