Surma .

nods

They?ve been open today but I believe today is last day.

We popped down earlier this evening to say goodbye to Mr. Ali, he confirmed it will be a ?Holland & Barratt? type shop replacing Surma.

Had many celebration meals in Surma, has mostly been our go-to curry house and we?ll miss it sorely !

FYI - Mr. Ali said he?ll still be around the area a lot as he has many connections in ED from the last few decades.

We will miss them.

I hope the new shop won't take too much business from Health Matters, just over the road :(

Are Surma closing because of lack of customers?

I've always been surprised at the relative popularity of Dulwich Tandoori and Tandoori Nights over Surma. Can't believe we are the only people who have had issues in the past with both those places, but maybe we have just been unlucky.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nobody has said that Holland and Barrett is coming

> to Lordship Lane.

From above.. Mr. Ali, he confirmed it will be a ?Holland & Barratt? type shop replacing Surma.

Well it may not be Holland and Barratt exactly.

Did your 'Foxy has posted ' alarm go off. You must tell me how it works.

DF

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Nobody has said that Holland and Barrett is

> coming

> > to Lordship Lane.

>

> From above.. Mr. Ali, he confirmed it will be a

> ?Holland & Barratt? type shop replacing Surma.

>

> Well it may not be Holland and Barratt exactly.

>

> Did your 'Foxy has posted ' alarm go off. You must

> tell me how it works.

>

Ha ha :)) No I don't have an alarm, but as you can see I am following the thread, because I have already posted on it several times! So therefore, of course I saw your post!

I do reply to other people you know, as you can see examples of all over the forum!

My post was because you had made a point about Lordship Lane losing its character because of independent shops disappearing.

There is a difference between Holland and Barrett (a chain, and I believe a franchise) and a "Holland and Barrett type shop" which could refer to any independent shop selling the sort of stuff Holland and Barrett does - seeds, nuts, grains, dried fruit, vitamins etc etc..

Personally I wouldn't be too unhappy if it was an actual Holland and Barrett, as I buy quite a lot of stuff from them already both on and offline, but like you I would prefer a one off independent shop. Though I imagine the prices would be higher.

However I would be sad if it affected Health Matters' business. I hadn't realised until recently that they sell so-called health foods in the room at the back.

I got some things there I hadn't been able to find elsewhere in ED.

Just posting this in the hope the Surma team see it, as well as to record my disappointment at their closure. Got some special memories of them for one reason and another. Thought it was just us that got the free Cobra though! 😉

Thanks to you Surma team for all the hard work and unfailingly good service. All the very best to you.