House and cat sitting recommendation for the holidays please?

Hi,

I have had both good and not so good experiences with Trusted Housesitters. Last year I had a near-perfect sit with a young Australian on a working holidaymaker visa (pre-meet a few weeks in advance of sit, animals took to her calm presence, tidy, responsible and respected my home). This year I was not so lucky with a Canadian ex-civilian staffer for the Mounties (no pre-meet possible, very late arrival 4 hours before taxi to airport, didn't follow instructions, left a mess and did not respect my home).

I have not been put off THS, but I think there are some key things when chosing and arranging a sitter:

- definitely have a pre-sit meet

- research profile & reviews carefully to make sure the sitter is appropriate for your animals and home.

- follow your gut instinct

- don't be afraid to approach a sitter directly if you think their profile is a good match

- leave clear house rules and instructions

Many sitters have regular house sits because of the relationship they have developed with particular petowners. Several who I have approached have been young professionals on working holiday visas from NZ and Aus for example.

THS now offers insurance as standard included in the annual subscription. I think that it is an excellent resource, but like anything it is something liable to potential abuse. Some people will try to get as much out of free accomodation with as little effort as possible in return.

I have not been put off THS, but next time I will more careful in my choice of sitter. I think I was lulled into a false sense of security by my first experience last year.

If you would like to discuss any further please feel free to pm me.

Best wishes,

Ilona

Hi I am Michelle and the owner of 'Any Pet Sitting and Walking'.

We are a small company dedicated to animals and all of the staff are hand picked and all have a high level of Animal Management and Care and detailed existing / background of working in the animal care industry working with rescue centres to working in city farms.

All staff are CRB checked and references can be supplied.

We are fully insured with Public Liability Insurance, Employee Insurance and Pet Services Insurance (certificates can be requested)

With holidays approaching we have availability for our Pet Sitting services not only do we look after your fluffy pets but we do love a reptile too or even a bird (James is our bird expert!) it is ?12.00 per visit and we will ensure your pet is well looked after and loved as our own, you don?t need to worry about medication as we have trained staff who are happy to administer an injection or give a tablet all staff have an animal background and have been trained, so you can rest assured your pet is in good hands.

Our team also have availability for dog walking so if your pooch needs a walk just give us a call.

Our aim is to bring enjoyment to each dog walk, we normally work in pairs and we assess each dog and put them in a group which suits the dogs needs so each dog is well exercised in body and mind and enjoys the walk and play with his/her dog buddies. We use various techniques such as ball/frisbie throwing for the more energetic dogs, to gentle strolls around the park enjoying the smells etc.

The cost is ?14.00 per hours walk and a discount is given of 10% for block of 10 prepaid walks (although these do not have to be booked there and then as a record will be kept.

To book is just a phone call away or text or even WhatsApp once the initial meet and greet has been done and we are very adhoc so booking and cancellations can be last minute and we will endeavour to fit a walk for you, we all know life can change last minute so we aim to ensure your dog being walked is one thing you can cross off your list.

If you are interested you can contact me on 07443 942491 or James on 07488 339820

References can be supplied

our website is www.anypetsittingandwalking.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...