Good Management Companies Block of Flats

Kris123

Hi East Dulwich!

It would be great if anyone out there has some relevant experience to offer some advice regarding management companies of blocks of flats.

Myself and 3 other directors look after a large block of flats in West Norwood. We have employed a management company to do the work that we are unable to do (serve breach of lease notices, collect service charges, handle accounts etc) but this particular company are a nightmare when it comes to getting any works done (they seemingly have their own set of preferred contractors who are 10 times the cost of others that could do the same jobs). They are also naff at communicating (are based overseas and not easy to contact) and charge a very high service charge.

We know that logistically we couldn?t realistically handle a right to manage set up as there are over 50 flats and landlords but we do want more control over who does what in this relationship (so management company or individual looks after accounting and serving notices whilst we look after picking contractors or firms to do works).

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation or know of a good management company that are local and have a flexible approach to building management? Or does anyone know of an independent individual who would do this kind of work with directors of blocks?

Your input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Kristian

Boo hoo, poor you!

Sounds like you and your 3 'directors' cant be arsed to do much work yourself, but fancy more profit out of this little venture, so you are asking for a better, cheaper alternative. Perhaps you should do your own homework? Thats of course if you arent too busy sat on your arse counting the income from these properties, whilst deciding on who the next unfortunate is to be served with a breach of lease notice.

Couldn't these be people who represent the former 'leaseholders' of a property who have bought-out the freehold and are now managing the property themselves (very common occurrence nowadays). Typically the former leaseholders form a company to manage the property on their own behalf, electing some to be 'directors'. Some of the beneficial owners may well now sublet their old apartments - hence reference to 'landlords'. I doubt whether profit here is a motive, but keeping down the costs of joint ownership, while maintaining a well run apartment block.

I agree with Penguin, I am a leaseholder in a block of flats and we have a residents company with appointed directors - they take no fee and are other leaseholders within the block.The leasholders either live there or sublet to tenants.

There is a block Landlord to whom we (all leasholders) pay rent.

The Managing agent acts on behalf of the Residents company to bring in contractors to do communal maintenance. It is these guys he wants to change.

The only company I have dealt with (outside Dulwich Estate) is Remus Management who while not brilliant are at least in the UK (Brighton) ad will visit and take instruction / or use any contractors that directors suggest and there is a relationship in place

W