ESPH: the gym that insults its customers

Jenny I

Unbelievable scene in ESPH gym this morning. One of the customers is wiping down the equipment after using it - you know, like you'd want him to if you were using it next - and the manager tells him off for using too much paper towel. When the customer, a regular, takes issue with this, the manager proceeds to insult him in front of all the other customers, telling him he has 'bad body odour'. Gob-smacking. I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Anthony Joshua or Usain Bolt goes to the gym and gets told off for working too hard and sweating too much! Is ESPH just for posing rather than working out? And does the manager think it's OK to humiliate paying customers? This has seriously put me off.

It is such a shame to hear. I tried the gym and classes myself, and was largely happy, but still felt it wasn't quite right somehow. I really wanted to use it and be a regular. The staff seemed to do long shifts, and teach as well as train, man the reception and do general duties. The studios were small and limited the class sizes.

It is hard to believe it is viable, unless the physio and treatments are money spinners. Oh dear. ED does need a good private gym for all us keen bunnies. Everyone Active has it's own many issues sadly. So our choice is limited, unless you use the school facilities out of hours, or schlep to Beckenham.

Any one got any other suggestions for a good gym?

I visit ESPH 5 or 6 times a week to work out, on my own and in classes. I also have physio and one to one training sessions. I've become pretty friendly with many of the people who work there, and I've never witnessed any rudeness or intolerance. They have always been willing to share their considerable knowledge with me and to assist me with my personal goals. The members seem to be a generally friendly bunch too.

PlantPower Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is hard to believe it is viable, unless the

> physio and treatments are money spinners.

It was originally just a physio practice (based up near Denmark Hill) before they expanded into the LL premises and opened the gym. I suspect that private physio is fairly lucrative if the referrals keep coming.

• 1 month later...
My other half and I went in to enquire about membership a couple of weeks ago. The person on reception was on the phone and studiously ignored us for a few minutes. She couldn't have failed to see us but didn't even make eye contact to encourage us feel like hanging round. I am now going try out High Vibe on Melbourne Grove who seemed much more interested in my business.

tfwsoll Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My other half and I went in to enquire about

> membership a couple of weeks ago. The person on

> reception was on the phone and studiously ignored

> us for a few minutes. She couldn't have failed to

> see us but didn't even make eye contact to

> encourage us feel like hanging round. I am now

> going try out High Vibe on Melbourne Grove who

> seemed much more interested in my business.

I went in a couple of years ago when looking for a nice local gym where I could get fir whilst also have some underlying physical/health issues taken into consideration by the trainers-on paper ESPH fitted the bill.

but when I turned up to the reception I felt they were a little too keen to get me signed up on their database and tell me about pricing with no offer of being showed around the gym and facilities 1st.

I did ask if I could have a look round and again got told to leave my email phone etc and someone would be in contact to have me do a 'taster' session.

I walked out without leaving details as I didn't want to be bombarded with promos and offers I just wanted to look round see the equipment etc and then decide.

Dear tfwsoll,

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience at ESPH a couple of weeks ago. It can get really busy on reception but that is no excuse for you not being acknowledged when you were standing at the desk. All our FOH staff are trained to make eye contact with every customer even if they are busy, and generally our FOH team receive excellent feedback. Our customers are very important to us and we take all comments very seriously. Following on from your experience I've spoken to everyone who works on reception asking them to pay better attention in future.

I do hope you will give ESPH another chance. We offer a taster gym session or gym class if you would like to come and try us for free.

Best wishes

Alison Foster

FOH Manager

ESPH East Dulwich