Opticians on LL

B&G

I need some new glasses (and an eye test). Does anyone know which of the 3 opticians on Lordship Lane have a reasonably priced selection of glasses? They all look very fancy and I cannot pay ?300 for a pair of specs my toddler will likely break in a fortnight....

I'm guessing someone out there will also have pondered this and tried them all out! :)

Thanks very much

I recently went to Paine and Hunter (near Healthmatters).

I too had been put off by all the expensive frames on show but I have to say they were fantastic and completely unpushy. I needed 2 new pairs and both were put in old frames on their suggestion and they also have a range of cheaper (from memory I think they were ?35) frame options which were completely fine.

I started using them a few years ago for my children and again they were great with them.

Really recommend them.

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have been going to Woodfalls for decades. They

> are very good.

Crikey time flies, I thought they had only been there a few years!

I am also looking for a local optician, specifically to prescribe daily multifocal contact lenses. I had being going to the Institute of Optometry (also for decades!), but the last time I went I wasn't too happy.

Because I have astigmatism (and for other reasons) it is always a compromise with my contact lenses, so I need somebody who can make adjustments to the prescription for both eyes to get the best possible outcome for both distance and reading.

I buy the actual lenses online, so I only need the prescription.

Woodfalls hasn?t been in Dulwich for decades.

I go to Paine and Hunter, who have been there for decades.

I find them brilliant, professional, warm and helpful. We always request Charles as we just find him the best. They have happily let me reuse my old frames or frames from the internet. They have cheap frames too and you can actually request frames from the children section which is cheaper assuming they fit as they do me and I don?t have a small head!

Woodfalls has other branches that have been around for ages, the origional company dates back to the 60s if memory serves me well and when the owner sold it was split in two with one group owning nunhead, Peckham and Brixton (sadly now the owners of that group have retired and sold on) and the other group taking Norwood and Sydenham and they are the ones who opened the Dulwich branch

Personally any of the opticians in Dulwich are a damn site better than going to one of the bigger chains like specsavers as they give a much more personal experience and whilst they want to sell you glasses, they aren't pushy or sales orientated like the chains (in my personal experience)

But it's always personal choice on where to go and my gut says go where you feel comfortable with the staff and don't be pushed into buying expensive frames if you just need bulk standard "national health" type frames 🤓