Mexican food in East Dulwich

axster

Hi all and Happy Holidays!,

Some of you may remember my post from a few months looking for feedback on opening a Mexican kitchen in East Dulwich.

I'm pleased to announce that we're now open as a delivery only kitchen (for now). You can find us on Deliveroo https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/london/dulwich/la-nosheria-london

There are obviously no reviews yet, but feel free to check out the reviews we received from our time in Lewisham https://www.facebook.com/pg/lanosheria/reviews/

We're open all weekend for lunch and dinner, including New Years Day.

Feliz navidad y pr?spero a?o nuevo!!

Delivering from Henslowe Road.

If you search for la nosheria on Deliveroo it comes up at the east Dulwich address, but still headed up as Lewisham.

We might have one tonight,want to come round and join us?!

The menu is on there and you can add items to your basket, so I assume you can carry on and complete the order from there ....

We had a burrito each (one veggie pulled jackfruit, one pulled pork).

They were delicious, and arrived very quickly. We had the basic size, which was plenty big enough for us.

We will deffo order again!

My only very slight gripe was that mine arrived lukewarm, but nothing that a quick burst in the microwave couldn't sort.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Deliveroo link doesn?t indicate who to order from,

> menu, nor name of supplier.

> So how would one order, using the Deliveroo link ?!

> Apols if I?ve missed something.

Should I assume you've never used Deliveroo, then?!

You order on the website/app, and a Deliveroo rider delivers it to your house...

Sue Wrote:

> If you search for la nosheria on Deliveroo it

> comes up at the east Dulwich address, but still

> headed up as Lewisham.

Hi Sue, yes I asked them to correct it, but Deliveroo haven't done so yet.

Sue Wrote:

> We had a burrito each (one veggie pulled

> jackfruit, one pulled pork).

>

> They were delicious, and arrived very quickly. We

> had the basic size, which was plenty big enough

> for us.

They don't look big, but are quite filling ;)

>

> We will deffo order again!

>

> My only very slight gripe was that mine arrived

> lukewarm, but nothing that a quick burst in the

> microwave couldn't sort.

It's a common gripe. Burritos contain both hot and cold ingredients. The rice, beans, meat etc are at 75C when added and I keep the burrito hot until the second the driver arrives, but by the time it gets to your door the cold pico de gallo, guacamole etc has often equalised the temperature inside. Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid.

Glad you enjoyed though! :)

I am confused about Deliveroo.

There are many articles on line about Deliveroo's so called 'Dark Kitchens'

operating from sheds in car parks. Does this mean that mean that when someone

orders a meal from a Restaurant, it is actually prepared elsewhere in one of Deliveroo's own kitchens.

and NOT from the restaurant ???

Foxy

Hi Foxy,

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I am confused about Deliveroo.>

> There are many articles on line about Deliveroo's

> so called 'Dark Kitchens'

> operating from sheds in car parks.

Take-away is changing and these days about 70% is delivery and from one of the main platforms (i.e. Deliveroo, UberEats and JustEat). There are quite a few different operators. Traditionally you have your high street restaurant or take-away, but since the growth of the delivery market you now also have these so-called "dark kitchens". Containers in car parks or domestic kitchens that have been converted to a professional standard (the latter is us).

There is a market now to cater exclusively for delivery and this saves on expensive high street rents. Obviously these kitchens still have to live up to a commercial standard, be registered with the council, hygiene inspected, pest-controlled etc.

Does this mean

> that mean that when someone

> orders a meal from a Restaurant, it is actually

> prepared elsewhere in one of Deliveroo's own

> kitchens.

> and NOT from the restaurant ???

No. If it's a restaurant on Deliveroo or the other delivery platforms, the food comes from the restaurant. Deliveroo does own some container kitchens, but they are operated by the restaurant brands. They are satellite kitchens to increase the delivery radius for a restaurant. There's typically a 2 mile limit (sometimes less) for each location.

Hope that clears things up ;)

NB: "Dark Kitchen" is a bit of a misnomer and sensationalised. Our kitchen is bright and airy :D

I believe the ones that come from the Deliveroo-operated shipping container "dark kitchens" are advertised as "Deliveroo Editions". They often take the name/branding of a restaurant/takeaway chain, but the food is actually prepared in one of these Deliveroo sites. They're often underwhelming and overpriced.

Plenty of Deliveroo options still come from local restaurants, but the company strategy does seem to be to take charge of the whole chain.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> I believe the ones that come from the

> Deliveroo-operated shipping container "dark

> kitchens" are advertised as "Deliveroo Editions".

Yes and no, any restaurant brand can be included to be included in "Editions", it's essentially a curated selection. All the brands in the Deliveroo sites are included though. Afaik it's still a bit of a pilot project, Deliveroo has 2 sites.

> They often take the name/branding of a

> restaurant/takeaway chain, but the food is

> actually prepared in one of these Deliveroo sites.

Yes, they are prepared there, but the individual container kitchens aren't operated by Deliveroo, but the individual restaurant brands themselves.

> They're often underwhelming and overpriced.

Not saying it's necessarily good, but I don't see any reason why the satellite kitchens should be any worse than the main restaurants. There is of course a general quality decline with chains.

>

> Plenty of Deliveroo options still come from local

> restaurants, but the company strategy does seem to

> be to take charge of the whole chain.

Not sure that is accurate. Deliveroo doesn't have any intention of getting into the catering business, they are a logistics company. The deliveroo sites are there to expand the geographical reach for the restaurant brands.

Well... "editions" is explicitly described on the website as "delivery-only kitchens". And when I look at them in Deliveroo, they all share the same address - a unit in a South Bermondsey industrial estate. So looks like the same kitchen preparing food under various different brands. (Unless 10+ restaurants are all operating individual kitchens in a single industrial unit)

• 2 weeks later...

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Well... "editions" is explicitly described on the

> website as "delivery-only kitchens". And when I

> look at them in Deliveroo, they all share the same

> address - a unit in a South Bermondsey industrial

> estate. So looks like the same kitchen preparing

> food under various different brands. (Unless 10+

> restaurants are all operating individual kitchens

> in a single industrial unit)

Given the size of many restaurant kitchens vs the size of industrial units that's perfectly feasible.

• 2 weeks later...

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Well... "editions" is explicitly described on the

> website as "delivery-only kitchens". And when I

> look at them in Deliveroo, they all share the same

> address - a unit in a South Bermondsey industrial

> estate. So looks like the same kitchen preparing

> food under various different brands. (Unless 10+

> restaurants are all operating individual kitchens

> in a single industrial unit)

I am interested in that model, so I actually reached out to Deliveroo to get some more info. Turns out I was wrong on the assumption that it is somewhat of a "pilot project". These Deliveroo "Editions" kitchens are all over the place, there's even one in East Dulwich off Melbourne Grove.

They do, however, have separate kitchens for each food brand and the kitchens are operated by the brands, not Deliveroo. They have two setups:

1) Individual self-contained container kitchens

2) Shared spaces for cold and dry storage and kitchen units for prep and cooking

(see attached images)

I've considered applying for "Editions", but I don't like the fact that I'd be tied to one platform - i.e. Deliveroo.

There is also some controversy here, not because of the concept and the quality of the food, but because they are often sited in residential areas and neighbours often complain about the significant increase of motor scooter traffic in the area. Justifiably.

Sue Wrote:

> Just had more burritos from La Nosheria.

>

> Again, they were yummy.

>

> Excellent value, and very quick delivery (which

> was lucky because we were very hungry!)

>

> Thanks!

Thanks Sue!

Try the tortas for a change, they're taking off.

Mexican sandwich (see attached)

tarita Wrote:

> The menu is on there and you can add items to your

> basket, so I assume you can carry on and complete

> the order from there ....

It's Deliveroo.

You do it as you would do any Deliveroo order.

I'm glad it's Deliveroo as I am boycotting Just Eat :))

Sue Wrote:

> They look nice!

>

> What sort of bread is it?

Sue, it's basic wheat bread (with some olive oil and smoked paprika in there)

Could not find the right bread for tortas, so we decided to bake ourselves - running out every day atm :P

Just out of interest, why are you boycotting JustEat?

I had a terrible meal via Just Eat.

Obviously not their fault,but the fault of the restaurant.

It appeared to be a new chef who had no idea either what meal/s he was supposed to be cooking, or else what ingredients were supposed to be in the meals.

I complained to the restaurant and didn't get anywhere, so I complained to Just Eat.

They were supposed to be making enquiries and I was told their "investigation team" would get back to me, but of course they never did.

I haven't used Just Eat since.

Possibly cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I don't look at Just Eat anymore, just Deliveroo.

axster - thanks for the info, very interesting. I knew they were all over the place, including Melbourne Grove... but didn't realise the kitchen were actually operated by the restaurants/brands.

For some reason anything branded as "editions" seems to be rather expensive, and I've often been disappointed with the food. I don't know the reason for this apparent correlation, but I do tend to avoid...

BTW, that sandwich looks awesome. I must try. I used to get Mexican from Cravings next to Peckham Rye station... actually I still do sometimes.. but was very disappointed when they got rid of the crumbly mexican cheese and replaced with generic grated yellow stuff.

axster Wrote:

> Sue,

>

> Was that you just ordering the tortas? Did you

> smell them? They had just come out of the oven,

> freshly baked. I was about to Instagram :P

>

> Hope you enjoyed ;)

Yes it was me/us, they were lovely, thanks!