Moving to a flat with no curtains or blinds - any ideas?

Hi there - sorry if this is the wrong forum (I'm quite new).

I'll be moving to a flat with no blinds or curtains, or even a curtain rail, and I won't be able to get in there and measure the windows/get something delivered before the moving date. Any thoughts on what to do to stop being woken up by the sun/stared at by curious neighbours before I can get a permeant solution? Are there any shops in ED that sell venetian blinds I could pick up and walk out with on my moving day? Obviously I could pin up a sheet etc, but any more suitable temporary solutions you can think of would be great!

I've decided that rather than stress about anything sensible related to my move, this is the issue that will keep me up at night, so any suggestions you can give would be great!

I have no blinds or curtains at present, partly due to building work removing all the previous fittings ( plus my old blinds which were falling apart), and partly because I can't find anything I like enough to put up.

For a while I solved the problem by hanging bits of material at the bottom half of my front bay window, weighing them down with cans of tomatoes, beans etc placed on the "ledge" in the middle of the window.

Whilst this looked a bit odd, it did solve the problem of people looking in. I didn't bother upstairs, as I don't sleep in the front bedroom.

In the end I decided just to leave the windows bare pro tem. Not a lot to see if you look in :))

You can get adjustable rods which you can hang very light material on (eg nets) but it doesn't sound as if it would solve your problem, and in any case they come in various lengths, so if you don't know the size of your windows that wouldn't help much.

I think if I wanted to completely keep out the light until I could sort a more permanent solution, I'd go for the sheet (or bedspread?) and drawing pin method. Though I did try this in my bedroom once, and it just kept falling down .....

Lordship_local Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>Silly as it sounds I hadn't considered

> the can and sheet technique...

>

Not silly at all.

I think I may have invented it! It came to me like a flash of lightning one day. Or something :))

ETA: I was trying to think of something to weight the material down. I didn't want to put drawing pins into my lovely new wooden windows.

I suddenly thought of cans ....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for you help all.

In case anyone comes across this thread with a similar problem looking for answers... I have one!

I bought some stick on black-out blinds from Amazoon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T9SV864/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was skeptical about them... but wow. They are great! So much so I can see myself not getting round to buying a more permeant solution for a while. They are very easy to attach, don't come unstuck, and block out light better than some curtains I have owned!

Good if anyone else needs a cheap and quick curtains/blinds alternative!