We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageGardening - Buying Plants Online
Posted by diable rouge March 28, 11:32AM

As this is the start of the season for buying new plants and early summer bedding for the garden, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an online delivery service. I've checked my usual local garden centre haunts (Nunhead, North & West Dulwich) and all are understandably closed, but also not offering an online order and delivery service at present.
Google throws up lots of companies nationwide, happy to use them if the quality of plants is very good, but would like to try and support a local(ish) business if possible...

messageRe: Gardening - Buying Plants Online
Posted by malumbu March 28, 12:41PM

Managed to get some top soil on Monday from Wickes before it closed down at 4. They are taking on line orders, with a queuing system should you need to get some of the garden extras, not good for plants and bedding I am afraid. I'll check with the expert gardener in the household for recommendations of on-line retailers, although these will be national I am afraid.

Assume the other home and garden outlets are closed. B&Q on line is even busier than Wickes but that may be a good source.

Posted by mancity68 March 28, 01:11PM

I think the lovely Nunhead Gardener is delivering?

Posted by diable rouge March 28, 01:34PM

mancity68 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the lovely Nunhead Gardener is delivering?

Thanks, but according to their website yesterday it's non-plant items only. Will check again as I expect everything will be very fluid over the coming weeks, waiting on their own deliveries etc...

Posted by diable rouge March 28, 01:39PM

malumbu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Managed to get some top soil on Monday from Wickes
> before it closed down at 4. They are taking on
> line orders, with a queuing system should you need
> to get some of the garden extras, not good for
> plants and bedding I am afraid. I'll check with
> the expert gardener in the household for
> recommendations of on-line retailers, although
> these will be national I am afraid.

Thankfully managed to get a decent quantity of compost a fortnight ago, but good to know if more needed.

National is ok, priority is good quality plants that don't arrive dried out and wilting. Thanks...

Posted by malumbu March 28, 03:08PM

Heard that Shannons in Forest Hill may be doing deliveries but shop is shut and unclear when I searched. Hayloft is a national on line retailer that we use: [hayloft.co.uk]

Funny, I have no anxieties about getting food, but building and garden supplies did floor me.... That's not a discussion point please.

Posted by glenfruin March 28, 10:39PM

The secret garden in crystal place is taking orders with a £10 delivery charge.
Check the website for the list of what is currently available.

Posted by Peckhampam March 29, 10:26AM

From Shannon's website
However we have realised that we are allowed to deliver to customers houses so we asking that any requests are made to us by email to shannonsgardencentre@gmail.com - we can then reply and give prices and stock availability.

Posted by LJC56 March 29, 04:14PM

Cade Street Nursery who are usually in Northcross Road are doing delivery. Got all my tomato plants from them last year - bumper crop!
[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

Posted by diable rouge April 03, 11:32AM

Thanks everyone for all the recs, I'll add an update as to how I get on...

Posted by Gardenman April 03, 05:18PM

The trade nursery I use Provender is open for orders which I am collecting, delivering & sometimes planting for my customers. Iím happy to add orders for customers, but there is a delay due to them being very busy. If you can wait, Iím happy to do free deliveries locally

Nigel
Exterior Design Gardens

Posted by Gardenman April 04, 08:09PM

Please give them a call reclaimed bricks & when youíve confirmed they are open for deliveries & collections, you might like to let people know you didnít check your facts before posting
Provender nurseries

You can view their website at Provender nurseries to choose your plants. But as it is a trade nursery, they only sell to the trade.

Posted by MrZhdens June 25, 09:00PM

This is a very good idea, and I also try to support the local business of private companies. By the way, thank you for sharing useful contacts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was june 25, 09:44pm by MrZhdens.

Posted by Gaynor Hill June 26, 11:36AM

I ordered plants from Bakker.com 3 of the lavender plants all dead email them twice with photo had no response
So avoid these

Posted by Sue June 26, 05:42PM

All the local garden centres should be fully open now.

For online ordering, I highly recommend King's Seeds (they don't just do seeds). However they are mainly fruit and veg. High quality plants, and excellent and friendly customer service.

I highly don't recommend Crocus. Once good, now not (in my experience).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 26, 05:43pm by Sue.

Posted by Gaynor Hill June 30, 01:44PM

Had some lovely plants and compost delivered from
East Dulwich Flowers this morning so helpful as well
0280 693 7775

Posted by theron July 01, 09:47AM

Nunhead Gardener remain closed but are still doing deliveries, indoor and outdoor plants included!

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum