BC Bikes

shackleton

Just wanted to say what a great experience I've had of BC Bikes, by goose Green. Really friendly, knowledgeable and cost conscious work done by the guys there on my derosa.

It's nice to find a local bike shop that's reliable and cares about its customers and their bikes! Very different from the big chains.

(I'm not connected to them un any way beyond the great work they've done on my bike.)

• 3 months later...

Their servicing is spot on. I have never had to take my bike back for adjustments following their work, unlike some other local bike shops I have used. They charge a fair price too.

Not only that, but when I had a warranty issue with a faulty Cateye light I bought, they replaced it despite Cateye saying the terms of the warranty had been broken, leaving the shop out of pocket. Customer service like this makes me happy to support a local business and pay a few quid over the odds compared to online retailers.

another big recommendation from me. from rebuilding two bikes, to small advice, repair jobs, sales/parts etc. they are fantastic. i've used lots of places across London as I've moved around the city and they are the best by a mile. Know their stuff, realistic, good prices, friendly, efficient, (& not in the slightest pretentious which is unusual in London bike shops!) And cycling aside, they just offer great service - not matter what other business you compare them too.

Went to BC bikes today after seeing these recommendations as had a problem with gears on my bike, the guy sorted it out on the spot (even though he looked busy with another bike) and didn't charge me for doing it. I would definitely recommend them too.

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought this might be useful to some of you

Cycle safety event

The cycle safety event will be held on:

Wednesday 14 March from 7.30am to 10.30am at Jubilee Market and Borough Market

Want to find out how you and your bike can stay safe?

Sit in a lorry drivers cab and find out where you need to be to keep safe

Get your bike looked over by expert mechanics from Cycle Training UK

Get your bike security marked free by the Metropolitan Police

Pick up a free cycling map (whilst stocks last)

Call in on your way to work.

Just posted on our intranet

• 9 months later...

Most bike shops limit their stock to only a few bike manufacturers, so it's worth visiting a few shops to get an overall picture of what's on the market.

If you go to Paul's, you should also check out some other Peckham bike shops, Wilson's on Peckham High Street, and Jozef's on Friary Road. If you don't mind going further afield, Brixton Cycles have a very good reputation.

There's also a bike shop in Herne Hill on Half Moon Lane...

Hi Saus01,

I run BC Bikes, (recently renamed Balfe's Bikes) We sell Treks, Felt, Genesis and Bianchi so a fair range available to order.

If I may suggest, it might be worth looking at the Trek Domane... of course I would say that! But it is an awesome new bike which actually takes a real step forward in frame design.

The seat tube is not connected to the top tube so it cancels out most of the flex at the Bottom Bracket. I am getting one myself and can't wait!

In fairness Edwardes in Camberwell are good guys too, as well as Brixton. Come talk to us though and we'll try our best to help.

(I am emailing from my wife's username as I can't remember my login.)

Kindest, Richard.

Visited BC/Balfe's, Paul's Custom Cycles and Edwardes today. Thought it would help if I provided a quick summary:?

Balfe's far and away the most helpful/knowledgeable. I'm going to go back and try a Bianchi, Felt and Trek - the weather was pretty poor today and I knew I'd be more focused on that than the ride. Thanks for the note Richard - I spoke to Kieran, who couldn't have been more helpful.?

Slightly odd experience at Paul's. Looked dark inside on the approach but then noticed the lights on and someone inside on the other side of the window to me. Took off my gloves, helmet, jacket and lights, locked up my bike with this person still there taking a poster down the other side of the glass. Tried the door - closed. Read through the opening times on the door to see a note after the Christmas hours saying they are closed. Bit confused why the person the other side of the glass didn't tell me that before I took everything off - it was pretty obvious I was planning to go in!?

Edwardes were OK - nice enough people - but they only seemed genuinely interested when I mentioned my budget. I said I really needed some advice because I am new to road bikes but the person didn't seem to have anything like the product knowledge as Kieran at Balfe's. If I asked about the difference between the bikes they'd say "better quality carbon" but nothing on the gears, etc. If I did push for it, they'd have to go through the brochure to find out. Overall, I probably wouldn't return because they didn't really help me understand the different price points or seem to have good product knowledge - the money point at the start also grated a bit. It's a shame because they stock one of the brands I'm really interested in.

Definitely agree on BC/Balfe's bikes, have always been incredibly helpful to me and very friendly. Not at all sniffy about my old but actually absolutely fine mountain bike, unlike some other bike shops who've flat out refused to look at it or service it.

ETA: that said, always also had a good service at Wilson's in Peckham when I used to live nearer there, but that was several years ago.

I've had good service from Balfe's bikes - knowledgable and helpful.

When I bought a new bike there a few years ago I had fantastic sales service. They helped me choose the right bike for me and put different tyres on for me to suit my riding.

They did me a good deal on new locks when some xxxx broke the D-lock trying to get at my new bike when it was only 3 days old. The would-be-thief didn't manage to open the lock, but did quite impressive damage. As well as new D-lock the guys at Balfe's also recommended Pinhead locks (and fitted them while I waited).

They also did a 6 week service.

I spent a lot (to my mind) on the new bike - very good value for money buying it at Balfe's.

I would also recommend Balfe's bikes. I took an old bike frame to them last year (frame in great condition) and they supplied all new parts I needed and fitted them for me as well. They even managed to find one part for the frame that was hard to find! - Not had any problems with the bike since :) whereas when I spoke to Edwards regards same frame the guy there did not really seem interested at all.

Simon.

Great bike shop with great bike people. Had my bike serviced here recently and it feels better now than when I first bought it from cycle surgery. Bought two bikes from this shop and I couldn't be more happy with the level of customer service. If you're after a new bike or a great value quality service I would strongly recommend visiting Balfe's Bikes.

Andy (satisfied customer).

Thanks to Balfes and their friendly, enthusiastic service I've become a bike nut! I'm not quite the tattooed, rolled up trouser leg variety but thanks to Balfes it's revolutionised the way I move around London for fitness, work and pleasure. There are a lot of great independent bike shops in London (I've tried most in and around ED) and still rate them as the best all round for service, price and products. Like everything dear to ED support them and ensure we don't become just another faceless High St.

went to Balfe's the other day just for a brake cable, really nice place. Jozef's is also really good, but think he deals in fixing more vintage bicycles and has a good stock of old parts!

I detest Edwardes in Camberwell, such crap service from everyone minus the young guy. Used them 5 times or so, and each time afterwards, said to myself I wouldn't go back. Now I've moved to SE22 I'm glad we have a nice array of bike shops around here.