How can we help vulnerable elderly and those needing food banks?

Not alarmist but I wonder if we can, as a community, look out for elderly people who are vulnerable and also assist food banks which may be under additional pressure in the current situation?

I thought maybe we could use this forum to suggest ways of looking out for the vulnerable and working out how to help them and those using food banks. I've looked at the Trussel website but they have not updated it to reflect current needs. They may well be snowed under with demand and if they aren't now, they will be if things get worse

I live near the Forest Hill Co-Op. I see a number of elderly people who shop there - but I have to confess that I haven't noticed whether they are still out or not. I thought I might talk to the staff in the shop to see who has not been in recently? But how do I track down where they live?

Any ideas/contributions?

Absolutely. I was aware of the Nunhead effort but my question is partly how we track the vulnerable. In my area there are still a number of elderly who live on there own. I see them out and about (or did) but no idea where exactly they live and whether they have family looking out for them.

But will track the Facebook thread as well.

Lollipop Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just to be clear - The people I am thinking about

> are those who do not have access to technology -

> homeless and the elderly. How do we locate them

> and help?

Are there local churches who might know of people in need and could maybe help coordinate a response? Also night shelters locally - Robes Project etc.?

As well meaning as everybody is, it is difficult for a vulnerable person as to whether to trust a 'stranger' who turns up offering to do some shopping. I do the occasional voluntary work with elderly people via a local charity - I have an ID badge and the older person is rung by the charity and given my name, I then ring the person and arrange a time to visit them.

Unfortunately there are people in Southwark who would think nothing of trying to con vulnerable people and it is more common than you would think.

The best way is for people to know their neighbours - we know the young couple who moved in 18 months ago next door- we introduced ourselves, we also know neighbours 2 doors down on the other side of the house and a few people even further down the street. Why wait until a crisis to be friendly.

I think going via churches is a good idea also if you have a tenants and residents' association in your street to contact their committee as they will have access to those who may need help.

Since posting this I notice that Facebook has lots of local groups being created in Southwark to look after vulnerable people that live close. I'm think I will go down that route on my street - contacting everyone and exchanging phone numbers etc so we all have a support network. What'sApp is being used heavily.

It doesn't help when supermarkets are picked clean by panic buying though! And I am assuming (maybe unfairly) that not a lot of that extra toilet paper and food was put into food bank receptacles in Sainsbury's .....