Support for NHS staff

Hi there,

I was wondering if as a community we can support the NHS staff in our area and how best we could coordinate this. My sister and partner are both A and E Drs in the West Country and pulling long shifts and then finding it hard to buy food which I imagine is the case for some of our NHS families here.

Perhaps a group of us could help with food shopping, even dropping off meals for our NHS staff. I know there are already groups reaching out for those self isolating and our more elderly neighbours but thought this could be a useful thing for us to do.

Am trying to think how we could best coordinate this and how we can reach out to those that need a hand. I have a friend at Kings who is going to reach out to colleagues there but any other suggestions would be great.

I was wondering about them too! I don?t drive and am gearing up to self isolate etc., so I didn?t know how I could help - e.g. drop a gesture of appreciation up to Kings - donate to something etc.? I can recommend Cook and there is a shop in west dulwich - I think that would really help them x

That's a great idea. A lot of King's staff and also other public service workers - police, fire etc - live in shared flats in a very large building at Denmark Hill. These are adults doing tough jobs but their low pay means they are living like kids in student halls - they don't even have living rooms. Would be marvellous if well off people in ED could team up with flats of NHS workers and drop them some shopping - flats are practically next to Sainsbury's.

Can we lobby to get medical grade air cleaners into Kings and GP practices? These are the ones that were used in Ebola wards. They take viruses and bacteria out of the air very quickly. They are cheap. To buy new, to keep a intensive care room clear of virus, bacteria and air pollution - ?900. I have one I bought a few years ago and they are brill re air pollution, allergens.

If hospitals in Sierra Leone could get them, surely Kings can do it and reduce risk to staff?

The biggest challenge for NHS staff is going to be looking after themselves, eating properly and getting enough sleep in what is likely to be their busiest ever time. Many of them are going to be working ridiculous hours, skipping breaks, and everything else in life is likely to stop. I would say some kind of buddy system that supports NHS staff with other responsibilities they can not meet would be a massive support. That can be anything from childcare to shopping, to sorting a broken down boiler. I think every frontline NHS worker should have a volunteer 'buddy'.

I think it is because Kings is not in East Dulwich.

Admin is very strict about that.

Though I agree an exception could have been made under the circumstances.

Perhaps if a separate virus section is set up, this thread could go there?

• Administrator

yorksgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How lovely of the EDF to 'lounge' a thread trying to help Kings staff and carrying link to a local

> support group.

If you have a problem with it please let me know rather than putting disrespectful passive-aggressive comments. I don't have time to read every one of the 500+ posts a day so we tend to act on the title, which wasn't ED specific so it was Lounged.