We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
messageRe: What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?
Posted by BrandNewGuy June 21, 10:33AM

Froglander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pick up of food waste bins and brown garden refuse
> bins is being missed. Is anyone else having this
> problem.

Yes! I daren't open my food waste bin, which hasn't been emptied for a couple of months. I don't have space for composting, so unfortunately all my kitchen peelings etc go into the general rubbish.

Posted by Froglander June 21, 05:46PM

jamesmcash Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Agree about the toilets - I will push for them to
> reopen asap.
>
> Re CPZs, the Peckham West one is now in operation.
> Peckhamgatecrasher - if you have been fined and
> were not given adequate notice that it would come
> into effect I may be able to get your fine written
> off. Drop me an email with details.
>
> Tradingfiddle - work on the East Dulwich CPZ has
> recommenced but I don't have a date for when it
> will go live yet.
>
> Best wishes
> James

Hello, can you please investigate the non pickup of food and garden waste please? Considering Southwark is now charging an annual fee for the garden refuse bins, an explanation would be most welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 21, 05:46pm by Froglander.

Posted by Pugwash June 21, 11:47PM

We have weekly collections for our refuse including the food waste - they do not always come the same time but anytime on Tuesdays.

Posted by Penguin68 June 22, 12:29AM

My collection also works well, although a new crew once did miss kerbside caddies put on garden walls (wasn't looking up). Luckily I spotted that and he did then pick the the caddies. Apart from that I've seen no problems in Underhill. If your caddy isn't at the front of the property on the pavement (or on another bin) it may be missed.

Posted by Froglander June 22, 08:32PM

See the other thread Iíve posted on where others have reported non collection.

Posted by jamesmcash June 24, 05:36PM

Hi all

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the sunshine!

Park toilets
As noted above, I pushed for the parks toilets to be reopened and they have been. Hurray! Get in touch if there's any further issues.

Pavement widening
It is possible that this can be considered in the next tranche of traffic measures. Please make sure they are logged on the commonplace map.

That said, I cannot promise anything. We are constrained by lack of funding. And we want to make sure all measures are carefully considered for potential negative effects.

Food waste collections
Thanks for raising this. Please make sure you report these missed collections on this form [www.southwark.gov.uk]

The Waste Management team are normally very good at rectifying any mistakes. But if there continue to be any issues please let me know by email, specifying your address.

Best wishes,
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by rjsmall June 25, 10:44AM

jamesmcash Wrote:

> Pavement widening
> It is possible that this can be considered in the
> next tranche of traffic measures. Please make sure
> they are logged on the commonplace map.
>
> That said, I cannot promise anything. We are
> constrained by lack of funding. And we want to
> make sure all measures are carefully considered
> for potential negative effects.

So the council can find the money to go against pretty strong public opinion in order to close roads and alter traffic flows at the Dulwich Village intersection (a couple of years after re-doing it) yet you want to use the excuse that there is a lack of money and even more laughably that you want to make sure all measures are carefully considered.

The situation is starting to feel like a practical joke.

Posted by first mate June 25, 11:39AM

Just think CPZ...money!

Posted by Rockets June 25, 01:04PM

The plastic barriers Lambeth have put up around Loughborough Junction don't look like they cost much at all and seem to have been repurposed from somewhere else. Why isn't Southwark able to do the same around East Dulwich - it seems our council has been so focused on fast-tracking their road closures through that they have neglected any actual Covid assistance measures for the majority of residents.

It is ludicrous they have done nothing to assist social distancing on Lordship Lane.

Posted by Jakido June 26, 11:49AM

It would appear that no schemes are being put forward for aiding social distancing / widening pavements / increased bike racks / reducing traffic flows on the lordship lane:

[moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by wonderwoman June 30, 05:53PM

I've reported this on commonspace already, it's been a problem even before the C19 pandemic. The bushes outside the block between Christchurch and the corner Florist on Barry Road/Lordship Lane is overgrown. This narrows the pavement making it difficult for people to walk without going into the road. During school run its particularly busy. It makes it v difficult to socially distance safely. Can something be done about this quickly? Getting so fed up I may take a machete to it myself!

Posted by rahrahrah July 03, 12:01PM

Jakido Wrote:
> It would appear that no schemes are being put
> forward for aiding social distancing / widening
> pavements / increased bike racks / reducing
> traffic flows on the lordship lane:
>
> [moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]
> me.aspx?IId=50023147&Opt=0

Yep, the main shopping street in the area and the council has absolutely nothing to help people social distance, or make it easier for businesses to reopen. It's actually pretty negligent.

Posted by rahrahrah July 03, 12:04PM

They should have put plastic barriers up in order to widen the pavements, months ago.

Posted by ai5991 July 03, 11:05PM

new updates please ?

Posted by rahrahrah July 04, 05:03AM

Here is what Wandsworth have been doing to help businesses and to create space for people. Compare and contrast with Lordship Lane:
[twitter.com]

Posted by jamesmcash July 06, 11:26AM

Hi all,

Lordship Lane pavements have been widened. This is something we pushed for right at the beginning of the lockdown. Not sure why it took so long but better late than never!

The permeable filter on Melbourne Grove South is up and running too.

Let us know if there are other measures you think we should consider.

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by EDmummy101 July 06, 12:48PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
> I second that. A service to help get food and
> other supplies to those having to self isolate
> with no resources to call upon for help. That can
> be just about anyone in genuine need, and not
> currently under any Adult Social Care package.

I agree - my mum struggled with this at one point when supermarket delivery slots were hard to come by.

Could possibly enlist local charities to assist too? LinkAge do a marvellous job for example

If people wish to help I would suggest joining LinkAge or similar as a telephone befriender - that means more support for the elderly and more response when they need something, whether food or medicine etc.

Posted by EDmummy101 July 06, 12:51PM

More cycle storage and lobbying for that please - already a shortage and more of us (in terraces and flats) buying bikes owing to Covid - THANK YOU

Posted by EDmummy101 July 06, 12:52PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
> Good point on the child care for essential workers
> and should be entirely doable. We need to hear
> local councils now make statements around action
> plans and see them lobbying government for the
> extra help they will need.
>
> And to add that it is going to have to be local
> authorities guiding government on what is needed
> here, because we are being governed by those
> sheltered from the lives of ordinary people by
> privilege and antiquated ideas from the past
> around 'Dunkirk spirit' and all that. Boris
> Johnson is completely out of his depth.

Completely agree

Posted by rahrahrah July 06, 01:02PM

Great to finally see some pavement widening outside the fish mongers.

Would be good to get something done by M&S. The metal barriers need to be removed and the pavement widened.

Posted by Rockets July 06, 10:39PM

James, Lordship Lane pavements have been widened at one point outside Moxons. Is that it? Hundreds of suggestions were made to you via this forum and the interactive map set-up by the council - how many of these suggestions have actually been actioned?

It appears the council have been found sleeping at the wheel when it comes to assisting social distancing on Lordship Lane......

Posted by first mate July 07, 09:01AM

James, I am sure you will agree, given you say you pushed for these measures right at the start of the covid crisis, it is shocking a modicum of proper interventions to aid social distancing have only just started to trickle through It is even more bizarre that you are not quite sure why it has taken so long? Is it possible please to find out and let us know exactly what the holdup has been?

jamesmcash Wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Lordship Lane pavements have been widened. This is
> something we pushed for right at the beginning of
> the lockdown. Not sure why it took so long but
> better late than never!
>
> The permeable filter on Melbourne Grove South is
> up and running too.
>
> Let us know if there are other measures you think
> we should consider.
>
> Best wishes
> James

Posted by almost peckham July 14, 10:29AM

One thing the council could have done would have been to have recognised and argued for the retention of public open space. Particularly open space near residents with little access to gardens. Instead, Southwark council seem to be on the verge of gifting Greendale fields to an overseas property developer to buid on for private profit. The road-width path behind the football ground will become a narrow path again once building works commences making social distancing next to impossible for those children and parents walking to school along this popular route. Utter hypocrisy.

Posted by rahrahrah July 14, 02:05PM

@James - are there any further plans for creating some space outside shops on Lordship Lane? You almost have to push passed the queue outside M&S and there are plenty of other pinch points too.

It's great that the council are creating more space in the most affluent and lowest density neighbourhood in the borough (The Village), but a little help in ED would be appreciated too.

Posted by jamesmcash July 16, 02:04PM

Hi all,

I have asked the council to do an investigation of the pavements on Lordship Lane to ascertain which sections need further measures. Using previous suggestions we looked at the following areas four times last Saturday
- Post Office area
- M & S
- Stretch of shop @ Moxonís
- William Rose Butchers

With the social distancing measures in place around Moxon's, all four areas showed no issues.

Do others have different experiences? Or are there other places we should look at insteaD?

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Posted by Rockets July 17, 09:32AM

James,
Can you clarify what you mean by no issues? There are always long queues of people outside M&S, the Post Office and William Rose and the pavements are narrow at those points. There are also choke points outside SMBS Foods, GBK and Franca Manca - perhaps you should wander down and take a look for yourself.

Posted by rahrahrah August 03, 09:56AM

@James, The queue for M&S often stretches round the corner on to Chesterfield Grove. There is a pedestrian barrier which runs alongside LL, parallel to this queue. The queue is not always present, but at times when it is there is no way that one can pass whilst maintaining the required distance. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them and you can explain how there is 'no problem'.

More generally, why are the council not reclaiming parking / road space, to create room for seating outside cafes, pubs and restaurants, as in many other parts of the Capital? We have a couple of months of potential good weather, where you may be able to help these businesses out if you act quickly and show the same sense of urgency as many other boroughs have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was august 03, 10:06am by rahrahrah.

messageRe: What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?attachment
Posted by rahrahrah August 03, 10:04AM

@James:

Here is a picture from Chesterfield Road of the M&S queue (I will take one of Lordship Lane if I remember, next time I'm there). It worse on LL because of the pavement barrier, but as you can see, even on Chesterfield it is hard to pass the queue maintaining a proper distance.

Attachments: lordship lane.jpg (137.3KB)  
Posted by first mate August 03, 11:58AM

And for those of us that absolutely do need a car for vital journeys where neither walking, cycling or public transport is a viable or remotely realistic option, where do residents park their cars, as you now seem to be suggesting space on side streets also needs to be given up for queuing shoppers?

Posted by rahrahrah August 03, 04:16PM

I'm suggesting that the council should ensure that people can follow the social distancing rules when visiting businesses along Lordship Lane. But you know- it's probably all about you and your car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was august 03, 04:18pm by rahrahrah.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum