We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
messageRe: What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?
Posted by TheCat April 11, 03:14PM

James,

I see you posted an update regarding waste collection above. But is there no scope that the council can actually re-allocate existing resources to better service residential waste collection? Thus not costing the council or council tax payers anymore.

With everyone staying at home. Residential bins are filling up quicker, and many families are struggling with the volume of rubbish(despite making extra effort with recycling and second use at home). However, this must mean that bins elsewhere (I.e schools, commercial properties) are not seeing any (or very little) waste. I know many businesses may have private waste collection, but surely there any scope for the council to re-allocate existing resources during lockdown to facilitate more regular collections where the people are, rather than maintaining services where they are not?

Thanks

Posted by jamesmcash April 14, 12:02PM

Hi TheCat

The issue is that the waste collection teams are understaffed due to sickness and self-isolation. Already the council is having to rely a huge amount of agency staff to make up the capacity. I will continue to push for this though.

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by seenbeen April 14, 02:49PM

Where is all the excess waste coming from? We are a family of four adults and we are at home almost all the time anyway for various reasons. We have never had a problem with excess waste over and above 1 blue bin, 1 green bin, 1 brown bin and a small food waste bin.
I must say though I have been an almost obsessive recycler, refuser and re-user since the 1980s....

Posted by Rockets April 14, 07:48PM

Seenbeen, I think there is an issue for a lot of households given the fact many families are consuming more as children are at home rather than at school. I also think a lot of people have been taking the opportunity to do a bit of spring cleaning during the lockdown.

We went for a cycle today and followed the recycling lorry along Friern Road and the road was strewn with recycling debris - my initial thought was that the waste collection teams were being a bit careless but the issue was that every bin was over-filled and were depositing items as they were wheeled to the lorry and then as they were lifted. It resembled the Old Kent Road on a Sunday morning by the time the lorry had departed but completely understandable given the amount that was being crammed into each bin.

Posted by pinkladybird April 16, 03:22PM

I wonder if the council have any powers to assist regarding unessential building works in residential areas? I believe many are still ongoing - for example loft conversions. They can be very dusty and noisy - unfair on neighbours who are stuck at home and cannot get any respite.

For example, I have a demolition going on metres from me. When that is over, it will then be rebuilt. The dust and noise are difficult to deal with - and those of us with adjoining gardens are stuck inside. There is also the matter of the dust affecting the lungs of anyone with the virus.

Posted by jamesmcash April 16, 03:35PM

Hi pinkladybird

Thanks for raising this. Quite a few other people have raised this with me too. I basically agree with you but unfortunately, government regulations say that construction can continue so long as social distancing rules are maintained.

Best wishes,
James

--------------------

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by pinkladybird April 16, 03:52PM

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply.

They are not following the social distancing measures on this site. The builders are working pretty close to one another - definitely less than 2 metres.

Posted by jamesmcash April 16, 04:12PM

Drop me an email with details and I can look into it.

--------------------

Posted by pinkladybird April 16, 05:56PM

I will do. Thanks.

Posted by rahrahrah April 17, 08:16AM

James, it is not possible to socially distance whilst sticking to the pavements. They are not wide enough. Traffic is down, but speeds are up. Will the council follow the example of many towns and cities around the world and create temporary extensions to pavements, bring in additional road closures and pop up bike lanes to make sure people can get around by bike and foot whilst maintaining social distancing and staying safe from motor vehicles?

Also, we have just received a note to say the Southwark will be digging up our street and the pavement will be closed for several weeks. Again, with average speeds up, could we either see such work suspended during this period or better still, temporary residential road closures.

Posted by seenbeen April 17, 09:37AM

rahrahrah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James, it is not possible to socially distance
> whilst sticking to the pavements. They are not
> wide enough. Traffic is down, but speeds are up.
> Will the council follow the example of many towns
> and cities around the world and create temporary
> extensions to pavements, bring in additional road
> closures and pop up bike lanes to make sure
> people can get around by bike and foot whilst
> maintaining social distancing and staying safe
> from motor vehicles?
>
> Also, we have just received a note to say the
> Southwark will be digging up our street and the
> pavement will be closed for several weeks. Again,
> with average speeds up, could we either see such
> work suspended during this period or better still,
> temporary residential road closures.

Pop-up bike lanes are a bad idea - if you are on the pavement and have to get in the road out of the way of other pedestrians or joggers you will be in the path of at least one bike....let them keep to the middle of the road please.
Also I would echo the sentiments of pinkladybird re the domestic builders. The ones that are working next door to me all shook hands when they were parting for the Easter Break...and I have already posted photos of them on the forum sitting together.

Posted by Spartacus April 17, 10:04AM

James
Just seen that "essential works" include closing the pavements along Barry Road for tree trimming , thus causing pedestrians to either walk in the busy main road or cross over and walk close to each other

More council madness that should be suspended during the stay at home period as it will stop people being able to safely get to Peckham Rye park for exercise.

Posted by yorksgirl April 17, 07:29PM

As savvy experts are saying that will most likely be a number of waves of COVID 19, what can you do please to ensure there is hot water in all publicly-used toilets so that people can wash their hands adequately?

Can you do this in all Southwark parks, and can you do anything with licensing laws re the pubs and supermarkets in the borough that currently provide only cold water in their toilet handbasins?

Hand washing with hot water is a lot more effective than cold water washing. That's because you need hot water for soap to lather adequately but also because people are far more likely to keep washing for an effective time if there is hot water. Rather than just freezing their hands.

The trend to have only cold water available has only appeared in the last decade. When I asked a while ago about why it had happened, the answer from a supermarket manager was that otherwise they got homeless people washing in the toilets. Somehow, this seems to be the wrong response to homelessness?

Posted by jamesmcash April 18, 03:36PM

Interesting point yorksgirl - I will raise it.

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Posted by dbboy April 18, 04:32PM

The Minister has just asked council's to re-open cemeteries.

Government to publish guidance on funerals
Jenrick says he is asking councils to reopen cemeteries and graveyards so people can "seek solace" at the graves of those they loved, or lay flowers. "There are times in my life when I have needed to do that", he says, adding that small mercies can make a difference.

Jenrick also cites a case where mourners were turned away and says, "funerals can go ahead with close family present".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 18, 04:35pm by dbboy.

Posted by seenbeen April 18, 06:47PM

Robert Jenrick also implored Local Councils that have had extra funds not to be slow in disseminating the money- which seems to imply that some councils ARE being slow at disseminating the money....

Posted by sheilarose April 18, 08:58PM

Please reopen the cemeteries, Southwark. [www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by sand12 April 18, 10:18PM

This is a very good suggestion yorksgirl and I second it and also want to add that this is also a problem in our local schools. With budgets cut to the bone, a local headmistress told me they had to scrabble to find the funds to properly stock the lavatories when this hit. I was shocked that children didnt have time or the soap and towels to hand wash properly. [www.theguardian.com]

Hand dryers should also be replaced. We know this is an airborne virus. All public loos should have these replaced with paper towels. If you get one super spreader going into a small lavatory and then using the hand dryer it is like a covid explosion. They aerosolise bacteria and viruses.

[news.sky.com]

yorksgirl Wrote:
> As savvy experts are saying that will most likely
> be a number of waves of COVID 19, what can you do
> please to ensure there is hot water in all
> publicly-used toilets so that people can wash
> their hands adequately?
>
> Can you do this in all Southwark parks, and can
> you do anything with licensing laws re the pubs
> and supermarkets in the borough that currently
> provide only cold water in their toilet
> handbasins?
>
> Hand washing with hot water is a lot more
> effective than cold water washing. That's because
> you need hot water for soap to lather adequately
> but also because people are far more likely to
> keep washing for an effective time if there is hot
> water. Rather than just freezing their hands.
>
> The trend to have only cold water available has
> only appeared in the last decade. When I asked a
> while ago about why it had happened, the answer
> from a supermarket manager was that otherwise they
> got homeless people washing in the toilets.
> Somehow, this seems to be the wrong response to
> homelessness?

Posted by siousxiesue April 19, 04:51PM

James, could you investigate why non essential shops like Oddono's Ice Cream is open, and the car wash in Chesterfield Grove? Thanks

Posted by Cyclemonkey April 19, 06:53PM

They are a food business selling hot or cold take away food for collection or delivery. Exactly what rules have they broken?

Posted by jamesmcash April 20, 11:21AM

Hi all

I will look into the cemeteries issue again. If it is safe to open them then I think we should.

seenbeen - Southwark has disseminated hardship support before even receiving it from the government. But if anyone is having issues with this then please let me know and I will look into it.

siousxiesue - I think cyclemonkey is right about takeaway ice cream. Not sure about the car wash - I will check.

Best wishes,
James

--------------------

Posted by david_carnell April 20, 11:43AM

Hi James

Why have all the benches in Dulwich Park been covered in plastic mesh?

I understand we wish to discourage people from being in parks when they shouldn't be but if someone needs a rest or to sit down this doesn't seem unreasonable. Covering them all up feels very much an overreaction and unnecessary at this point.

Thanks

DC

Posted by jamesmcash April 21, 11:58AM

Hi all

david_carnell - I have raised this with the council and the plastic mesh will be removed.

I also raised the issue with the cemeteries and the following has now been agreed.

- The council will re-open Nunhead and Camberwell Old Cemeteries to the public, on the basis of the opening hours prior to the emergency.
- The council will re-open Camberwell New Cemetery on Sundays only. This is because of the volume of funerals that take place there, including now more on Saturdays.
- That if funerals need to take place at Nunhead or Camberwell Old cemeteries (for example for a Muslim or Jewish burial at Nunhead or to re-open a double-plot at either location) that the cemetery is closed for the duration of that service. Where this is the case, a notice will be placed on the cemetery gate to explain the closure. Where practical, we will give advance notice of these closures via social media (this may be more challenging where notice periods are short, such as with Muslim burials).

I hope this is a satisfactory outcome for everyone!

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Posted by KidKruger April 21, 12:09PM

Sounds good James.
Do you now when the cemeteries (Nunhead) will re-open please ?
(I will check their website and post here anything I can find).

Posted by jamesmcash April 21, 12:11PM

Not sure - I think it's just a case of council staff putting everything in place. My guess would be today or tomorrow but I don't know for certain.

Best wishes
James

--------------------

messageRe: What can the council do to make things easier during COVID-19?attachment
Posted by KidKruger April 21, 12:12PM

I checked, the website at least says 'Closed'.

Attachments: Screenshot 2020-04-21 at 12.10.14.jpg (323.9KB)  
Posted by KidKruger April 21, 12:12PM

OK Cheers James.

Posted by david_carnell April 21, 03:50PM

Many thanks James! A very pragmatic decision.

Posted by seenbeen April 22, 09:20AM

pinkladybird Wrote:
> I wonder if the council have any powers to assist
> regarding unessential building works in
> residential areas? I believe many are still
> ongoing - for example loft conversions. They can
> be very dusty and noisy - unfair on neighbours who
> are stuck at home and cannot get any respite.
>
> For example, I have a demolition going on metres
> from me. When that is over, it will then be
> rebuilt. The dust and noise are difficult to deal
> with - and those of us with adjoining gardens are
> stuck inside. There is also the matter of the dust
> affecting the lungs of anyone with the virus.

Yes it has been shown that people who live in regions with poor air quality get the virus more seriously. Also, as well as the non-essential domestic building work we in Crystal Palace Road are going to have to suffer resurfacing work. At the moment I can go to the back or front of my house to avoid the builders' noise but if there is road works at the front. Pathetic.

Posted by jamesmcash April 22, 12:40PM

Hi all

The council has updated various parts of its website in relation to the health/wellbeing and the crisis:

a. Mental health: www.southwark.gov.uk/takingcareofyourmind
b. Staying active: www.southwark.gov.uk/movemore
c. Eating well: [www.southwark.gov.uk]
d. Stop Smoking: www.southwark.gov.uk/smoking
e. Safe sex: www.southwark.gov.uk/safesex
f. Move more - www.southwark.gov.uk/movemore
g. Taking care of your mind - www.southwark.gov.uk/takingcareofyourmind
h. Healthy eating www.southwark.gov.uk/healthyeating
i. Infectious diseases and vaccinations - www.southwark.gov.uk/infectiousdiseasesandvaccinations
j. Healthy weight - www.southwark.gov.uk/healthyweight

Please pass these on to anyone you think might benefit from them.

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum