Supporting local businesses

Hi,

I don?t have an answer to this but are people also wondering how we can support local businesses (& livelihoods)? If people are urged not to eat out then apart from those on deliveroo (& even those with) that is most of the high street demolished.

Would love to hear ideas. I know Tart are selling vouchers online for future visits.

Thanks

Local Greens, our local and ethical community-led veg scheme is still operating, is giving bigger than usual donations to West Norwood Foodbank, and co-ordinating a volunteer delivery operation for those who can't leave their homes. They are well worth supporting for weekly Uk sourced organic veg bags. www.localgreens.org

Chener Books is still open atm, and, can also do limited deliveries locally this week if you are stuck inside. Email or call them - they do not have online ordering but contact details are at chenerbooks dot com and they can take card numbers for purchases via phone if you are self-isolating and they will drop books. If you are able to go in in person - all the better!

I gather the government is bringing in legislation to allow pubs and restaurants to provide take-away meals.

I'm not sure that this is going to have a huge effect in practice.

They should allow you to take out jugs of beer :))

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They should allow you to take out jugs of beer

> :))

>

>

> Yes I concur :)

In the olden days pubs used to have sections next to the main part where you could get beer to take away.

My mum used to send me up there to get refills for a soda syphon (she didn't drink!)

Would love to support local businesses by buying things from them but as a family we have immediately lost 80% of our household income, probably soon to be 100%. So absolutely no luxuries for us. I hope the rest of you can keep them afloat.

I'm going to start another urgent thread about this. I know many of our community are freelancers and just lost all our work, which is devastating. Some on salaries can afford to help a bit however, paying for a few meals up front for when the coast clears at your favourite cafe or restaurant could be life changing for the owners.

Here At Chichirara Vintage shop I?m aiming to stay open for as long as allowed. I?m in the shop posting lovely clothes for sale on my Instagram site @chichirara_vintageshop and posting things my Etsy Shop ChichiraraVintage And even if the mail and I can do local deliveries on foot. It?s my 25 th year of trading here and I really want to keep being part of all the brilliant independent traders in East Dulwich that make it such a special place. And in an attempt to help St Christopher?s Hospice I just donated two huge bags of winter stock to the charity shop as I heard that donations were down, love and take care Heather x

• 3 weeks later...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Yeah it was called off-sales, the pub I was sent

> to had a little lobby with an off-sales counter in

> front of you and doors to the saloon and lounge

> bars to the left and right.

yes i remember a pub called the Arrows, 24 Pomeroy Street, Deptford SE14 it had the same good old day's

ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

> The Ivy House has been doing sales to the public

> and deliver too as far as I know.

>

> 020 7277 8233

Yes this is still happening, but only Wednesday to Friday inclusive.

However they say the ale (and cider and lager) will keep for a week.

Excellent value at ?8 for a four pint container, with free delivery.