To what extent can an asthma sufferer help?

Hi all,

Possible thick question, but bear with me.

I have recently been diagnosed with asthma and am a 50 year old. I would like to help out with helping out vulnerable older people who need a bit of assistance in self isolation etc etc. BUT, because of the asthma, I really don't know whether I should be keeping my distance from everyone as much as possible. I can help with ringing people, and having a bit of a chat, but should I generally be keeping my head down? I don't have severe asthma.

Thoughts?

As someone with weak lungs (as suggested by your asthma diagnosis) you could be more compromised if you get Covid 19 - and it moves into its second, lung impacting, stage, triggering pneumonia. Asthmatics are advised, if they have been prescribed this, to take the daily dose which is seen as prophylactic (as opposed to the medication to take when an attack occurs - which you should still take of course if an attack does occur). This suggests that you should avoid others, as catching the virus could be more dangerous for you (could be, not definitely would be). My asthma is triggered by e.g. grass pollens (linked to hayfever) - others will be linked to worse pollutants. My advice would be 'to keep your head down'. Not having to use hospital breathing apparatus (which could be necessary for you in the worst case scenario) allows someone else to use it whose needs may in fact be greater.

Hi Wee Queenie,

You suggested you might be able to offer support by phone. You could contact LinkAge, Age Concern , or a local church to see if they would like a volunteer who could have a chat with an elderly/vulnerable person by phone. That way you are safely distant but contributing to the community spirit at the same time.

Stay safe,

Ilona

HI Wee Quinnie, I am in a similar situation. I've had asthma since I was a kid. While I have for the most part grown out of it, I still do occasionally get flare ups. Luckily I know my triggers (changes of seasons....usually linked to hay fever) and getting sick.

It is frustrating feeling strong and wanting to help, but being limited by this. Keep yourself safe! By looking after yourself you won't end up (touch wood) needing medical help, thus HELPING!.

I am looking for work that I can do remotely, either on the phone or internet and will post it here if I get any leads.

Stay well.

I found an 'ask me anything' thread on Reddit from an asthma sufferer, to give some insight of how they were affected:

And a Twitter thread of another person:

https://twitter.com/rosshamiltonn_/status/1241771865074434048

No major asthma symptoms. Sounds not very fun, but as a fellow asthmatic, it makes me feel less anxious about falling ill. Just have to be extra careful to not catch a secondary infection while your immune system is doing its thing.

Kevin