does anyone have two mouth/nose surgical mask thingys for tomorrow?

supersammyc Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Heading to Heathrow with a friend who is heading

> back to Peru with her little girl and we need to

> find some protection. haven't had any luck finding

> faces masks so far. If anyone has any in Dulwich?

> Cheers

I have some basic ones that are better then nothing and can give you four, so they can change them when they get off the flight or wear two at the same time. If you see this in time, message me xxx

shell Wrote:

> Please remember masks are useful at stopping you

> spreading the virus if you're coughing but not at

> stopping you catching it. They can often be

> counterproductive.

How are they counterproductive, Shell?

Sue Wrote:

> shell Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Please remember masks are useful at stopping

> you

> > spreading the virus if you're coughing but not

> at

> > stopping you catching it. They can often be

> > counterproductive.

>

>

> How are they counterproductive, Shell?

... here we go

WHO on masks https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

"If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing."

Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.

Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.

To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

I would guess that few people have a close fitting mask covering mouth and nose ,that few take it off as carefully as they should and that many walk about with a damp warm mask where bugs will linger and breed . And that many wearing a mask will induce a false sense of security and that as a consequence they will not keep their distance from others as they should .

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > How are they counterproductive, Shell?

>

> Putting them on and taking them off involve

> touching the face. Also (some) people are likely

> to subconsciously fiddle with the mask and the

> elastic while wearing.

Thanks fishbiscuits, also InTexas explained some other aspects.

Obvious when you think about it, which I hadn't done ......

Everyone in Asia started wearing masks right away and they flattened their curves very quickly. Sometimes, a public shared behaviour sends out the right message, whether it scientifically has an impact or not. In other words, if everyone were wearing surgical masks, everyone would be aware of the virus and transmission.

Surgical masks are cheap to produce, and are a cheap way of raising public consciousness and therefore changing behaviour, especially in a West that isn't used to seeing them used. This for me is a trick missed by Western governments early on. Had everyone been told to wear masks, you can bet they would have been more consciously abiding by the other advice.

Even the worst masks stop people touching their mouth and nose, which cuts the chance of infection. FFP3 masks filter out nearly every particle (if fitted properly) and allow healthcare workers to work in relative safety in covid wards. But they are needed by doctors and nurses, so the public shouldn't buy them.

Brits have a cultural aversion to masks that isn't really rational. It might be partly fear of embarrassment at being seen in one when nobody else is wearing them.

I agree with all of that blackcurrant. Leave the professional masks for the health professionals, who come into contact with the virus every day. For everyone else, it is about finding the best way to make everyone put the advice given at the fore. A lot of that is about changing behaviour. Not an easy thing to do but we are getting there.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

> Even the worst masks stop people touching their

> mouth and nose, which cuts the chance of

> infection. FFP3 masks filter out nearly every

> particle (if fitted properly) and allow healthcare

> workers to work in relative safety in covid wards.

> But they are needed by doctors and nurses, so the

> public shouldn't buy them.

>

> Brits have a cultural aversion to masks that isn't

> really rational. It might be partly fear of

> embarrassment at being seen in one when nobody

> else is wearing them.

Its true about the Brit's having a weird attitude towards wearing masks.

When I was undergoing Chemotherapy I took to wearing a mask whilst travelling on public transport for the days when I knew my immune system would be at its lowest.

I got sniggers, stares, and some schoolkids on a bus started taking the p*** out of me really loudly.

In the end I stopped wearing the mask because it made me feel really awkward due to others ignorant reactions