We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
messageStay your distance (including in Dulwich park)
Posted by Malarkey March 21, 09:45PM

What an absolutely disturbing picture in Dulwich Park today!! I was walking the perimeter with my dog and saw all these people queuing at the cafe- unbelievably stupid, thoughtless and selfish! Surely the government advice to stay 2 meters away is clear. This is NOT fair on any of the NHS workers. We are in a crisis; behave responsibly!!!! COVID-19 is HIGHLY contagious. Even if you don’t care about catching it yourself, if you hang out this closely with other people then there is every chance you will catch it, and pass it on to someone who may very well die.

messageRe: STAY YOUR DISTANCE IN DULWICH PARK!!!
Posted by siousxiesue March 21, 09:49PM

I've had to step in the road many times today, people ignoring the 2 metre rule altogether.

Doesn't the café have to close? Guess it was takeaway..

Posted by Clutterqueen March 21, 09:53PM

I thought it would have been closed too.

Posted by Blah Blah March 21, 10:29PM

Cafes are supposed to be closed, except for takeaway food.

messageRe: Stay your distance in Dulwich park
Posted by Donna101 March 22, 10:56AM

Good post. Too many people are taking too many chances.

messageRe: Stay your distance (including in Dulwich park)
Posted by Kept thin March 22, 11:26AM

I agree. Also many inconsiderate joggers/runners. Either in groups or running too close .Please think!

Posted by doody March 22, 12:27PM

Also, groups of 3 or 4, walking abreast taking up half the path- please drop into single file to facilitate distance when passing others. And remind your cycling children to keep their distance as well.

Posted by lindylou March 22, 01:22PM

Just drove past the Court Lane entrance to Dulwich Park after leaving some essential groceries on my parents doorstep. Hoards of people congretating, chatting in groups of 6 plus. What is it these people don't understand about social distancing? They think because they're young it's of no consequence. Same selfish mindset who are stripping supermarket shelves?

Posted by GardenPlanters March 22, 01:32PM

Hammersmith and Fulham are closing all parks as for 7pm tonight lets see if southwark follows suit.

Posted by lindylou March 22, 03:14PM

Absolutely if the herd doesn't listen, there's no option.

Posted by AllisonAdler March 22, 03:55PM

Closing all green spaces is going to make us all unhealthy. It would be nice if people could just follow the guidelines and help us all to preserve our mental and physical health.

Posted by KidKruger March 22, 04:00PM

Yeah but they won't follow guidelines so common sense has to be done for them, unfortunately impacting all of us.

Posted by lindylou March 22, 04:50PM

KidKruger so true. If the masses aren't told what to do, they will do it and carry on doing it until thousands die from their stupidity.

Posted by KidKruger March 22, 04:57PM

Well, they've been told what to do. And they're actually ignoring it (or, a noticeable number are).
Enforcement is the next stage, to address herd stupidity.
It's a shame, because significant resources will now be sucked into the enforcement process - manning, planning - while those undertaking this may be put at a higher risk, unnecessarily.

Posted by Renata Hamvas March 22, 05:06PM

People have been behaving so irresponsibly, not only in Dulwich park, but Peckham Rye Park, Nunhead Cemetery and other open spaces in the Borough. In order to protect residents, this has resulted in closure from tonight.
Renata

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgery
4th Thursday of each month (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Posted by Laur March 22, 09:29PM

I'm so pleased to hear this.
People have been so ignorant and selfish.
NHS staff and their loved ones are putting their lives at risk because people are failing to understand the most basic request.
I've managed not to leave the house for a week because the safety of the elderly, the vulnerable and the NHS staff and their loved ones are worth much more to me than a stroll in the park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 22, 09:30pm by Laur.

Posted by chris1001uk March 22, 09:34PM

The point is, as devastating as poor mental health issues are , if we don't start practicing advised social distancing many more people will die. I saw 2 girl friends hugging today, couples with other couples strolling along very close together etc etc. All intelligent looking people acting like complete and utter selfish numpties. Transmission of this virus comes from cough or sneezing droplets, which is easier to avoid and easier to spot, the danger comes from the unknown symptomless transmission. Don't be thick, keep your distance. Take care too.

Posted by LoulaRose March 22, 10:05PM

Hi Renata,
Is there the chance cemeteries will be closed, or has this already happened?

Posted by fayebarrett March 22, 10:14PM

Chris1001uk
Agree with the social distancing absolutely. But.. you realise these couples you speak of probably live together, right?!

Posted by dbboy March 22, 10:25PM

How about One Tree Hill and Camberwell New and Old Cemetery which are used for recreational purposes as well?

Posted by Siduhe March 23, 10:55AM

Interesting article in the Economist today which analyses data released by Citymapper to show how people moving around different cities it operates in have changed from normal patterns. It seems to confirm that Londoners were out and about this weekend far more by foot and public transport than in other European cities. Appreciate that the demographic that use Citymapper may be skewed but presumably it's a fair comparison of its users across different cities.

The article is behind a paywall and is copyrighted, but the key conclusion is:

Quote:
The Economist
Though mobility has fallen during the last fortnight in all 40 cities, there are considerable regional differences. Seoul and Tokyo had already experienced significant declines by the start of March, and have stabilised since then, as the spread of the virus has slowed. Australia and Russia are still operating at close to 50% mobility, with few deaths recorded there yet. Western Europe and North America have seen the sharpest declines, as the virus has claimed hundreds of lives in several countries. But among places where the death toll has reached that high, Britain is an outlier. On Saturday mobility in London, Manchester and Birmingham hovered around 25%. New York was at 10%, with Rome, Paris and Madrid all at 5% or below.

Posted by dresswaves March 23, 11:19AM

Renata Hamvas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People have been behaving so irresponsibly, not
> only in Dulwich park, but Peckham Rye Park,
> Nunhead Cemetery and other open spaces in the
> Borough. In order to protect residents, this has
> resulted in closure from tonight.
> Renata

From Southwark Twitter An Hour ago it is playgrounds & other areas within parks that are being locked. For the moment the parks are still open.

Posted by se22cat March 24, 06:03PM

Keep clear of the builder working on a house halfway up Archdale Road - just went past on the way to the chemist & the retard hawked up and spat repeatedly on the pavement in front of me. An exchange of words was had outside of spitting range.

Posted by NewWave March 24, 06:13PM

doody Wrote:
> Also, groups of 3 or 4, walking abreast taking up
> half the path- please drop into single file to
> facilitate distance when passing others. And
> remind your cycling children to keep their
> distance as well.

So glad someone other than me has flagged this.
today in Dulwich park joggers and cyclists not following the minimum 2 meter rule and even worse on the pavements outside people jogging two abreast (if you must run two abreast and you see a walker on the pavement have a quick glance and if the road is clear run into the road in order to pass the walker it only takes a moment) and leaving it to me to be the one to step off the pavement into the road in order to avoid them running either side of me very closely.
And also not ideal adults cycling on the pavements -not everyone is agile and able to dodge out of the way and why should they?

Posted by Sue March 24, 07:19PM

I don't know who dFinal Touch are, but they appear to be doing some work on a house in my road, and there were four of them all talking extremely closely together as they were leaving today.

I did take a picture, or thought I had, but it is not there (new phone, quite possibly I didn't actually take it, as the camera is unfamiliar).

Posted by Tipsyleprachauns March 24, 07:48PM

Sue Wrote:
> I don't know who dFinal Touch are, but they appear
> to be doing some work on a house in my road, and
> there were four of them all talking extremely
> closely together as they were leaving today.
>
> I did take a picture, or thought I had, but it is
> not there (new phone, quite possibly I didn't
> actually take it, as the camera is unfamiliar).

I’m not sure that you can react too much to them just talking closely together - they’ve probably been working in a house together all day. But I do have my own issues with them. I’ve caught them on multiple occasions trespassing on neighbours property and throwing cigarette butts into the gardens on houses neighbouring the ones they’re working on. There have also been reports of significant damage caused to neighbouring properties during their work.

Posted by Sue March 24, 08:16PM

Oh dear.

But if they can't keep apart from each other when working, they shouldn't be continuing to do that work, surely?

Posted by montassa March 25, 08:25AM

Renata - you mentioned the parks were closing.. ?

Look all open to me..

Posted by KidKruger March 25, 08:36AM

I'm not sure Renata controls what Southwark parks dept do.
I think she was just passing on what Southwark had said will happen.
But Southwark seem (for now) to be allowing parks open but playground/swingparks closed.
So people can self-distance and still be outside once a day,

Posted by sjsl March 25, 12:10PM

Official communications have been pretty confusing, so understandable that some people thought the actual parks were closing, rather than areas inside. I hope they keep them open, assuming we continue being allowed out for exercise, it's much easier to keep your distance in a park than on a pavement!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum