I have closed the classified sections of the forum

Today I helped two families with donations of baby items via the classifieds section. I ensured all items were clean and safe, and left everything on my doorstep to be collected (no face to face contact). Payments can be made online, so no cash need be exchanged / contact made, but there is the risk that the virus can live on surfaces. it does pose some risk.

Hi Admin,

Closing the Events section makes perfect sense. Perhaps a section for virtual events would be a good idea? Seems to be loads of them around!

For the classifieds, I am likely in the minority dissent but people are still heading to grocery stores etc which have many, many more people than a brief one-on-one sale.

I have found the forum invaluable in the past week, selling some WFH kit and looking for a few things myself. I'll now be looking on Gumtree, likely needing to use my bike instead of buying/selling within walking distance. We're using this time to clear out the flat and are find loads of stuff!

• Administrator

Hi George Orwell

I'm not one for long consultations, and I (currently) think it's the right thing to do. So I did it, quickly.

Ps It's not a moan it's feedback and I appreciate hearing it, otherwise I don't know these things.

johnqadams

It's a tough one but there are people out there who don't take precautions and don't take this seriously. Let's see what the next week brings, hopefully there won't have to be a total UK lock down and I can relax the closures soon but it's down to people acting correctly to the PMs instructions.

Ps Ditto re. feedback, thank you.

I fully accept that closing it down is wise to reduce contact. We?re in isolation ourselves. When it returns it might be an idea to revamp the section in some way - perhaps into categories. At present any new posting disappears from the first page and ends up lost in a mass of items. I suspect many people just can?t be bothered to scroll through page after page to find something they want.

The classified & events sections are incredibly useful & I have benefitted from the kindness & generosity of several people here, and managed to save computer equipment from the dump which I continue to use on a daily basis, including the keyboard I'm typing on now, which I'd otherwise not be able to afford.

It's absolutely the right decision, am 100% behind you admin. Just as those sections are in-line with the spirit of this wonderful area, your decision will hopefully act as a nudge to those who still think it's OK to gather together in this most difficult of times.

I'd also just like to thank you for keeping this forum going, imho ED has become a far better place because of it :)

I wonder if there's the possibility of a new strand of Covid Classifieds. With suggested instructions for handovers / safe distances during exchange.

We are new at working from home AND home schooling and find ourselves missing equipment that I can't really afford right now... the EDF would have previously been the 1st place I'd have tried to find things.

Maybe there's a safe way to do it?