We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.iyouall.com

www.eastdulwichcarpetcleaning.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageI have closed the classified sections of the forum
Posted by Administrator March 22, 07:46PM

Events section has banned face to face meetings.

I'm thinking I should not encourage strangers meeting by closing the for sale section. Would it help?

--------------------
The Administrator

messageRe: Should I close the for sale section of the forum?
Posted by KidKruger March 22, 07:53PM

I suppose if we are going to ensure no contact between people it is the obvious conclusion, unfortunately.

Posted by LoulaRose March 22, 07:54PM

Today I helped two families with donations of baby items via the classifieds section. I ensured all items were clean and safe, and left everything on my doorstep to be collected (no face to face contact). Payments can be made online, so no cash need be exchanged / contact made, but there is the risk that the virus can live on surfaces. it does pose some risk.

Posted by callmesean March 22, 07:56PM

of course !!!

Posted by Administrator March 22, 08:00PM

Some people are responsible and sensible, but some still aren't taking this situation seriously and perhaps closing the for sale section would help drive that home.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by siousxiesue March 22, 08:05PM

Administrator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people are responsible and sensible, but some
> still aren't taking this situation seriously and
> perhaps closing the for sale section would help
> drive that home.

YES. Please

Posted by Administrator March 22, 08:09PM

I've closed it (as best I can).

And the Items wanted section

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by George Orwell March 22, 11:37PM

This is my first ever gentle moan to any forum administrator - I know itís a tough job.

But, why did you take the trouble to consult and give half an hour for observations and then go and do it.

messageRe: I have closed the classified sections of the forum
Posted by johnqadams March 23, 06:35AM

Hi Admin,

Closing the Events section makes perfect sense. Perhaps a section for virtual events would be a good idea? Seems to be loads of them around!

For the classifieds, I am likely in the minority dissent but people are still heading to grocery stores etc which have many, many more people than a brief one-on-one sale.

I have found the forum invaluable in the past week, selling some WFH kit and looking for a few things myself. I'll now be looking on Gumtree, likely needing to use my bike instead of buying/selling within walking distance. We're using this time to clear out the flat and are find loads of stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 23, 06:53am by johnqadams.

Posted by Administrator March 23, 07:23AM

Hi George Orwell
I'm not one for long consultations, and I (currently) think it's the right thing to do. So I did it, quickly.
Ps It's not a moan it's feedback and I appreciate hearing it, otherwise I don't know these things.

johnqadams
It's a tough one but there are people out there who don't take precautions and don't take this seriously. Let's see what the next week brings, hopefully there won't have to be a total UK lock down and I can relax the closures soon but it's down to people acting correctly to the PMs instructions.
Ps Ditto re. feedback, thank you.

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by George Orwell March 23, 08:47AM

I fully accept that closing it down is wise to reduce contact. Weíre in isolation ourselves. When it returns it might be an idea to revamp the section in some way - perhaps into categories. At present any new posting disappears from the first page and ends up lost in a mass of items. I suspect many people just canít be bothered to scroll through page after page to find something they want.

Posted by Peckhampam March 23, 08:51AM

Absolutely the right decision. Could you have a word with Boris Johnson to nudge him into action as well

Posted by Blah Blah March 23, 10:44AM

I too am backing Admin in this decision. The virus can live on both hard and soft surfaces for several hours at least. To beat it, there has to be an all or nothing approach. Every life saved will make us better for it.

Posted by se22cat March 23, 11:24AM

The classified & events sections are incredibly useful & I have benefitted from the kindness & generosity of several people here, and managed to save computer equipment from the dump which I continue to use on a daily basis, including the keyboard I'm typing on now, which I'd otherwise not be able to afford.

It's absolutely the right decision, am 100% behind you admin. Just as those sections are in-line with the spirit of this wonderful area, your decision will hopefully act as a nudge to those who still think it's OK to gather together in this most difficult of times.

I'd also just like to thank you for keeping this forum going, imho ED has become a far better place because of it smiling smiley

Posted by above the shops March 25, 02:26PM

I wonder if there's the possibility of a new strand of Covid Classifieds. With suggested instructions for handovers / safe distances during exchange.

We are new at working from home AND home schooling and find ourselves missing equipment that I can't really afford right now... the EDF would have previously been the 1st place I'd have tried to find things.

Maybe there's a safe way to do it?

Posted by se22cat March 25, 05:53PM

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum